Reaction score
Why is it that I absolutely love this:
E2F95A71-0DB8-446D-A3B6-45A5E62C5873.jpeg

While this does nothing for me?
5F029091-4CB4-4AC8-BB07-E631EACF1831.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would guess that the appearance part of the Alpina package was to insure the cars stood out and were immediately recognisable. If that was the reason, then it works. It would have been great, however, if Alpina could have done something far more subtle that accomplished their goal but didn't detract so much from the beauty of the E9. (BTW, I also pick the wrong stocks :()

shanon

Reaction score
+1
Acquire and ditch the 'Deco' treatment. Put in the right rudder and drive the snot out of it. You'll love the B2S sounds. ;)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i loved the alpina c1 2.3 that the seller of this e9 sold on BaT 2 months ago (pic below). i like the B6 at the top of this post a lot too. to me the difference is a few of the e21 and probably most of the e30 were built in Buchloe. this e9 has a lot of Alpina bits added on to it ...

i don't know if Alpina built any e9's for the road like the c1 or B6. i know they built some great race cars and some beautiful parts for the e9 and the 2002. but that makes a world of difference.

1685739004246.png

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree and if I may, I think its all about "period correct" on the E30 its period correct looking
Yes, the Alpina bits look better on the Bracq era designed cars of the late 70s early 80s.

I kind of like the graphics, but I’m not a big fan of the Alpina front air-dam. Much prefer the look of @vince ‘s car below.
06D705AB-51E0-40FB-9B64-3AD4074D040F.jpegCCF42CF2-D482-4E1E-86F3-D357C109B5B2.jpeg
But after watch the driving video I think I could learn love it. ;)

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've probably said this before, but I remember an R&T cover from the late 70s that featured an e21 Alpina. I thought it was one of the coolest cars I'd ever seen. That opinion hasn't changed a whole lot over the years. If the e9 had the decals/stripes above the trim line with the blockier Alpina text it would probably look better.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The first cars I saw the stripes on were square tail light 2002s and early E12s. I don’t think they work on the E9 body.

I do think the Alpina front spoiler is the best one.

The seller seems to have a direct pipeline to Oldenzaal.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first cars I saw the stripes on were square tail light 2002s and early E12s. I don’t think they work on the E9 body.

I do think the Alpina front spoiler is the best one.

The seller seems to have a direct pipeline to Oldenzaal.
I liked my Alpina (Alpina-style) spoiler/air dam on the old Bav, however it was lower than it looks the way it sits back a bit (probably same issue with the coupe but maybe not). I had to fix it countless times but didn't want to change it out as I felt on the Bavaria, with the two extra doors, it lightened the look more than the bigger air dams and gave it more of a lightened race car look. I know they are getting harder to find. Coupe King made a few from the original mold back in the day but I don't think you can get them from CK anymore. I could still see the raised Alpina lettering on it, that is how good of a job they did.

On the coupe, I still like it aesthetically. Plus you don't see as many running around. But I pretty much like all the air dams on coupes (or really any vintage BMW) that I've seen, better than not having one...JMHO.

I always thought someone should buy the rights to all the old Zender stuff. I couldn't believe they went out of business years ago, at least I never see them anymore unless originals from back in the day, mostly on '02's it seems. They were huge in the 80's. Remember Kombi too, looks like they might still be making those?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why is it that I absolutely love this:
View attachment 163007

While this does nothing for me?
View attachment 163008
The e9 is a less is more design to me. The deco stripes are busy and take away from the esthetics of the e9. I think we have been trained to like the CSL with the roof hoop, front air dam, and rear spoiler though I think all that is too much. However, I LOVE the CSL race cars!!!

Last edited: