Alpina B6

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Per my observations,
This car appears for sale once a year atleast for the last many years and discussed here too. Apart from the fact that the body is in very poor shape, the rumor is that the Alpina story isint factual either.
One fact is for sure, if it was a special order done by Mr. Bovensiepen himself for a personal friend, this unique car would have been the star in any Alpina E9 collection.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect to the seller. I'm sure they love the car and spent quite a bit of time on it. The seats definitely aren't period correct, but those could have landed in the car at any point in time. As far as the look, it's not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong I love the Alpina stripes on late 70's through 90's Alpinas. I like the E9's that I've seen with Alpina stripes. The color combo of the dark blue paint with the CSL trim and gold stripes does nothing for me. I'm a huge fan of Alpina everything but this car evokes zero emotion for me.

Getting down to business, there are two things that I don't like about this. The first is that the Alpina Plaque does not appear to be period correct. It looks like a 80's 90's plaque. These plaques are thicker with a 3D beveled edge. The e21 B6 plaques were thin aluminum much like our VIN plates. I suspect that the conversion plaques were less VIN-like, as they didn't have Alpina's chassis number on them, and likely were screwed to the dash. Given that importers and dealers handled Alpina conversions, I'm not sure how much info you can gleam from an alpina plaque. It's easy to hunt around and compare as there are plenty of e21's still rolling around, both factory originals and dealer installs.

E9 Plaque:
3279_10625185_19.jpg

Period B6 plaques:
photo03_zps80ed027b.jpg

1983_plaque.jpg

Later Plaque:
b10_plaque.jpg

The other thing of note is that he Zenith Pierberg DL fuel injection is different than that of a 1976 B6 2.8. This injection only lasted a short time on the B6. Given that this car was converted by Alpina in 1976, why wouldn't these parts be the same?

E9 Fuel Injection:
H4580-L77894290.jpg

E21 B6 Fuel Injection:
b6200.jpg

1981 B7 Turbo Injection (same as 1976):
81B7Turbo.jpg

To me, it looks like that injection is an earlier unit found on Irmscher tuned Opels. The fuel manifold is clocked differently but it otherwise looks damn near identical. See the 1972 reference in the magazine article. If Alpina proper did this work, again why not use the same unit which fits the bay much better:
irmscher.png

103_Bochum_014.jpg

An interesting read on Alpina plaques:
https://www.alpinac1.com/single-pos...dash-plaque-the-mystery-and-allure-of-Alpinas

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t know. From the other thread on the subject I see another Alpina motor with the same components. I’m simply confused...

FCD3B051-1CBA-4F09-9F6A-5FC39C8F1ABA.jpeg