• yes

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • no

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I found a guy who will make door card trim for our cars.
$40.00 each if we order 100 pieces.

I want to be clear so here is an edit.
One piece is the longest strip. The guy wants to make only only length and that way we get the best prices. Can someone @OCCoupe, please measure the length of the longest strip and advise if it could be cut to make the 2 smaller strips? If that is the case then each car would need 4 strips.
The total cost would be $160.00 for one full set. If the length is insufficient then it may go to 5 strips per car as surely the strips in the rear seat area could be made from one long strip.

The guy was looking to make a run of 100 pieces so, at 4 pieces per car that is only 25 people or 25 "sets".

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll take one (well two) for the team.

Edit: Nevermind I misread the title. I'm good to go on trim. I'll be in the garage tonight if you need the length of the long piece.

Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will take two of the long ones that span the entire length of the door.

Attachments

• IMG_7496.PNG
    IMG_7496.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 186

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan - would be good to know / see how the ends of the strips are 'capped' - they are side specific, with different angles to follow the line of the door card

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"please measure the length of the longest strip and advise if it could be cut to make the 2 smaller strips?"

Being capped on each end and side specific, as Christopher points out, cutting them to size wouldnt be the ideal solution.

Would it also include the inner strip with the 'hooks/ tongue' to attach to the door cards?

Thanks
Keshav

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Trying to get more detail from the guy who will make them.
I think he is making them identical to the sample I sent.
I hope he is making them capped on the ends. Stay tuned

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my guess is that it would be worth looking at a square cut / or slightly rounded - finished end. the angle of the original piece is very slight. in looking at the cut ends ... in the rear, the cut end would be behind the seat if you have recovered the side panel to eliminate the access cover for the window motor. the small piece on the door terminates into the door pull / armrest ... so this somewhat obscures the cut end. the problem is going to be getting a fine cut with no scratches.

we know that the long door bottom metal is significantly longer than 2 of the short pieces on the door. the question is whether you can get 2 pieces for the rear out of one long piece ... and i think so. if not, you could do a short piece from one side and a rear piece for the other side out of one long piece.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
The devil is in the details. I need all the pieces for my car, but don't really want ends that are just raw cuts with no way to attach to the panels.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan - would be good to know / see how the ends of the strips are 'capped' - they are side specific, with different angles to follow the line of the door card

The ends are slightly angled, which is why I bought two different damaged left side pieces for my driver's side door, cut them, and formed a butt joint in the middle of the piece. The angle is most pronounced at the inner portion of the strip, nearest the hinges. Thus, I think it is not only aesthetic, but also helps keep the strip from getting crimped when you close the door. This becomes especially important if the strips ever become loose and move inward. In addition, the squared off piece that forms the channel (allowing the holder to capture the strips) ends before the visible portion of the bends on the end. When I was trying to determine how to piece together the stuff I had, I didn't think I could produce a good looking end cut.

Christopher's suggestion of end caps may be a good solution.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder how consistent the trim lengths are among our cars?
I just measured and the long strip is 40" the strip that buts into the arm rest is 10 1/4" and the strip in the back seat area is 13 1/4" (and does not get covered by the rear seat.
So, presumably, 4 strips per car with a flat or slightly rounded end would do the job.
100 strips = 25 cars so far we have 6 cars (including me) prices go up for smaller quantities. Also there may be a set up charge.
I am clarifying if there would be the inner tack strips or if we would need to attach some other way. I think they would attach as the originals did.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
See attached picture

Attachments

• IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    722.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 189

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

your rear side panels appear to have been recovered and the window motor access plug has been removed ... therefore your metal strip is shorter than it would be on a '74 (without the access plug). the '74 trim extends behind the arm rest.

i also think that your upper trim should be a little longer extending from the back of the armrest up to the panel edge ... (like the long trim). that's being picky ... but if you were making new ones, you should make them fit as perfectly as possible ... to equal your beautiful car.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
did anyone look to see if this part is something from McMaster Carr or some place like that?
The tack strip surely must be used in some application other than this door strip...

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    749.1 KB · Views: 152

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

your rear side panels appear to have been recovered and the window motor access plug has been removed ... therefore your metal strip is shorter than it would be on a '74 (without the access plug). the '74 trim extends behind the arm rest.

i also think that your upper trim should be a little longer extending from the back of the armrest up to the panel edge ... (like the long trim). that's being picky ... but if you were making new ones, you should make them fit as perfectly as possible ... to equal your beautiful car.
Is your car local to you and if so can you measure your trim strips?
Thanks

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan, I just measured: 40 1/4, 10 1/4, 13 1/4, all original, same edges as in your pictures.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my car is NOT at my house, but ... i do have trims here. i do NOT have '74 rear trims to measure. i get 40.25" at the longest point of the long strips and 10.25" on the short ones.
i didn't find my rear strips, but i measured the rear panel and 13.25" to 13.5" would seem correct if you have the access plugs. otherwise it could be up to about 18" +/-. perhaps somebody with a '74 could measure their rear trim