Aluminum Radiator

e30strube

Reaction score
Has anyone used or seen the Ireland Engineering E3/E9 aluminum radiator? I'm debating going with a Mishimoto unit or the one IE sells. The Mishimoto would be an E36 M3 unit and is a bit cheaper.

e30strube

Reaction score
As an adder to this...it will be going into my Bavaria with a M30B35. In this case, functionality would outweigh appearance. With more E9 experience on this board (vs. E3), I thought it best to ask the question here. Thanks for the responses.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
As an adder to this...it will be going into my Bavaria with a M30B35. In this case, functionality would outweigh appearance. With more E9 experience on this board (vs. E3), I thought it best to ask the question here. Thanks for the responses.

there is no better functionality if aluminium vs copper to equal number of rows and separation
go for a three core, a simple task fir any radiator shop

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
One other improvement to the triple copper core is dimpled tube. Bit more expensive...used in big diesel trucks. By creating compression points / turbulence it aids heat dissipation by up to 10%. Used by the hot rod guys with big V8s and small radiators.

Did the above and no overheating issues ever again.

restart

Reaction score
Aluminum is probly lighter so if you are sporty....Copper/brass is probly more correct if you are looking for originality. Copper/brass goes green from dissimilar metals, hence the black paint.
I am pretty sure a poorly made radiator out of either metal will not cool as well as a well made rad of the other metal.
I may be wrong but it makes sense to me...hahah
Pardon my grammar:-?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a Mishimoto that I bought for my E36 M3. I was not that impressed with it and sold it and installed a Behr. I have a Koyo Aluminum rad in my Miata and it appears to be better built than the Mishimito.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On the subject of radiators. I had some damage on my original radiator. We are putting in an after market one for now, but I will eventually fix the original, especially after what I am reading. Damage I think is minor but I was not aware that you could take an original and triple core it, what does that generally cost? Then to dimple tube it, which if possible seems like something I would want to do too. Question is, if that is all possible to do to the original, does anyone know a great radiator shop that would be able to do something like this in Orange County, CA? And approximate cost? Without the repair of the damage of course since you can't see that.

w. chen

Reaction score
radiator alternatives

hi, e30, if you are looking for alternatives, please read my thread dated 12/08/14.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18011

santa monica radiators is what i would recommend for a recore. they offer 3 row too. today with temps in the low 90s, i was running the a/c in stop and go fwy traffic, temp needle stayed at 1/4 of gauge. mine is a two row hi efficiency core. cost is mid $400, including cleaning out the tanks. no problems with fit.

regards

w. chen
74 cs

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have bought an alloy radiator from Ireland Engineering and find the bottom lugs do not line up with what is in the car..............anyone else had this problem????

Attachments

• e9aluminumradiator7.jpg
    e9aluminumradiator7.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Lugs.jpg
    Lugs.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 181

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those appear to be there for the tabs on the fan shroud?

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see........my old radiator didn't have them as it was shroudless. BTW in another blog Don you mentioned I needed a 150 shroud....excuse my ignorance but what model is that off? And does it give any clearance issues with A/C Compressor fitted?? Thanks

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try a Ron Davis single row large oval tube radiator for $900!! A unique design that runs mega cool. He is one of the few companies making these and you may want to google up on these. Several guys that track their E28s as well as drive them on the street in AZ are running them and are more than happy with them. I know..for $900 they should be. I have seen other manufacturers with this design in the $6-$700 range

gazzol

Reaction score
I have bought an alloy radiator from Ireland Engineering and find the bottom lugs do not line up with what is in the car..............anyone else had this problem????
I may be wrong but that's probably because that rad is for an e28. The rad in my car is e28 and the bottom mounts don't quite line up. It doesn't bother me because with the original rubber pads installed the radiator is supported.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I see........my old radiator didn't have them as it was shroudless. BTW in another blog Don you mentioned I needed a 150 shroud....excuse my ignorance but what model is that off? And does it give any clearance issues with A/C Compressor fitted?? Thanks

Early 6er shroud

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why don’t people try double/triple pass radiators? If you run an it gun over a single pass rad, you typically find out 1/3 of the rad is doing most of the cooling. On one of my classics, the center third runs 45 degrees hotter than the sides. Even putting a baffleplate in there to force more uniform flow thru the tubes would meaningfully improve efficiency. Has someone map the temp profile on a stock E9 radiator?

Personally, I’ve not found these necessary in any classic car because I triple core all of them. But if you are dealing with really hot climates and have AC, this might help.