Annual "What's my car worth" thread

jamesw

Reaction score
With Harvey here in Houston I quickly realized I need to update my insurance for my E9. Can I get the group's collective wisdom on valuing my car?

It's a 71 2800 with:
3.3 engine
G265 tranny
Triple weber DCOE45
Stahl headers
123tune distributor
3.0 rear subframe w/ disks
La Jolla suspension
16" original Alpinas
Body and paint done in 2013
GAHH leather kits in interior
A/C conversion to rotary comp. and cross flow
Nardi wheel

Thanks!
James
Houston TX (Thankfully high and dry during Harvey)

Attachments

• IMG_8821.jpg
    IMG_8821.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 171

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
without ever having seen your coupe, rough guess - somewhere between 45 and 55k ... could be more as you have some tasty bits on it. there is always a difference in replacement value and what you could sell it for - color / detailed condition and willing buyer. you will find that depending on who the insurance is with, they will try to undervalue a 2800cs vs a 3.0cs because of Hagerty's book. if so, you might point out a few of the things that Keith Martin said a year ago - that the 2800cs was higher collectable rating (not exactly sure why ... there was some discussion last year). when i changed from Hagerty to Heac0ck Classic a few years ago ... they used the Hagerty values ... so i asked them if they knew what the exact differences between the two are. their answer was no ... so i told them 200cc of engine displacement and vented front / rear disk brakes. they gave me the value i asked for. which now needs to go up again.

good luck and keep us posted. glad your coupe was high and dry in Harvey

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You should contact Hagerty and determine an agreed upon value. Send several photos, interior, under the hood, the body from different angles. Refer to other coupes if you can find recent sales of similar coupes. I have an agreed on value of $70K
DSC_0231.JPG
6F67CF14-CB2D-4A66-B080-9C8E4023037C_zps6hvcza9l.jpg

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I actually wonder if Hagerty and NADA are affiliated regarding the lower value of the 2800 vs 3.0. The 2800CS starts at a low of 10k up to 30k for top condition, versus the 3.0 that starts at 15k for a fair condition up to 60k for top condition. As we all know, a well sorted 2800 versus a 3.0 can be the same calibre of car so believe that market prices and this forum keeping abreast of those will be a better guide for value and help guide an appropriate agreed value.

To the group: would it be worth starting a sticky thread at the top of cars to note model and year and a couple of key items against the sale date and price and build such a list over time? For example:
2017/09/14 3.0CS 1972 3.5L, leather, fresh paint, AC 45k Ebay
2017/08/29 2800CS 1970 3.3L, velour, driver quality exterior, 35k Craigslist AL
etc etc etc

I don't know if admin could set up a table for this to be populated to make it easier to digest? @dang

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
we can remind ourselves about the discussion of 'the professor' for sale. a very nice polaris 2800cs on the market for 58k +/- ... and initially it had real alpinas and wonderfully restored original wheels with XWX on them. it had very reputable people do a lot of work on it. and it didn't sell ... not sure if it has yet. that's my point about replacement value vs. saleable value.

Stan - replace the water reservoir on your coupe - its too yellow and distracts from the gr8white. you need a pristine white one with blue BMW coolant inside. that will knock of 5k of value for sure. just kidding.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I actually wonder if Hagerty and NADA are affiliated regarding the lower value of the 2800 vs 3.0. The 2800CS starts at a low of 10k up to 30k for top condition, versus the 3.0 that starts at 15k for a fair condition up to 60k for top condition. As we all know, a well sorted 2800 versus a 3.0 can be the same calibre of car.
Unfortunately "As we all know" doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to a car's MONETARY value. The only thing that counts at that point is what the potential buyers know and feel.
Owners pour their heart, soul and hard earned money into the cars they cherish. That translates into sentimental value, admiration from crowds and respect from peers.
But selling value is a totally different (and often quite a bit lower) proposition.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DSC_0232.JPG
we can remind ourselves about the discussion of 'the professor' for sale. a very nice polaris 2800cs on the market for 58k +/- ... and initially it had real alpinas and wonderfully restored original wheels with XWX on them. it had very reputable people do a lot of work on it. and it didn't sell ... not sure if it has yet. that's my point about replacement value vs. saleable value.

Stan - replace the water reservoir on your coupe - its too yellow and distracts from the gr8white. you need a pristine white one with blue BMW coolant inside. that will knock of 5k of value for sure. just kidding.
Old picture, replaced with a brass tank pained black

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wouldn't know where to begin Alan. what do you think its worth? ... you can post pictures, give us descriptions of what you've done ... and we can throw darts at numbers on the wall.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
whats mine worth
I would insure it for what you think it is worth.
If you want to sell it, the value is what the market would bear on a certain day. At auction, it might not reach reserve or a couple people could feel they have to have it and the sell price goes through the roof.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yea i know what you mean michael
I think yours is for sure at 120,000 minimum!
the exquisite work and personal touches are something to really marval at
i really love your auto and care you took to do it.
my car is easy to see just look at the post in restoration 4310316 begins

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alan, its too hard to decipher for me, maybe somebody else can. i see a project in process, and i'm not smart enough to put a value to it ... too many variables. you aren't going to sell it, so you need to think what its worth complete and try to insure it for that.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i am going to sell it
after i drive it for a while to make sure everthing is perfect and not one single issue
or rattle
i cant drive a car with any noises except the engine whine.
im just gone past the wild times i would be doing with it.
and im married - Sooooo -
safety first which i used to throw to the wind.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
i am going to sell it
after i drive it for a while to make sure everthing is perfect and not one single issue
or rattle
i cant drive a car with any noises except the engine whine.
im just gone past the wild times i would be doing with it.
and im married - Sooooo -
safety first which i used to throw to the wind.

I'm surprised that you want to sell it. After all the effort, enthusiasm, grief/aggravation. I know this car is special to you. Why the change of heart?

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
my wife is afraid ill kill myself with all the power
ill keep it, for a while as u say mike -a ton of heartfelt energy
yet i dont havea garage where it really needs to be
maybe if i get a big job i can built one