Another 1973 CS on BaT

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
I posted on BAT and gently suggested more photos of the rust prone areas and the seller ( who apparently is on this site) took exception. It’s a beautiful coupe, but IMHO the seller isn’t going to get top dollar if they don’t address. The rust remediation documented is minimal and superficial. I really wish them well. I guess the right approach is to not post unless I’m bidding.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I posted in support of your comment about how simple it is to get pictures of the areas under the windshield from inside the car. If he doesn't budge on that suggestion, I would take it as a bad sign.

And, our friend Richard (https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/1973.38357/post-327977) has decided to continue by posting in this auction in his quest to get coupe sellers everywhere to ignore the comments of e9coupe forum members.

Last edited:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
@HonaloochieBoogie - Sorry man, I'm the guilty party. Didn't realize you were a coupe owner. I just get tired of the comments and requests from some of the 'e9 corrosion experts' on BaT. Somehow it's a requirement now to post a video scope of the inner fenders, removing the rockers, etc... If the seller does those things great but we shouldn't request these things especially if we aren't a buyer. I just try to consider the seller on BaT. If someone makes a request like that and he doesn't have the time to do it - then somehow he's hiding something. It's been forever since I reinstalled my rocker covers but more recently I bought a CSi that I knew I was going to sell. I did remove the rocker covers to get pictures of the metal underneath. It wasn't the easiest job, then I had to reinstall them - times 2.

As a group, I think we are pretty brutal about cars posted here. We all seem to want make sure everyone on the forum knows how much we know by pointing out every little problem and detail. Our cars are 50 years old now, not too many of them are perfect.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@HonaloochieBoogie -
As a group, I think we are pretty brutal about cars posted here. We all seem to want make sure everyone on the forum knows how much we know by pointing out every little problem and detail. Our cars are 50 years old now, not too many of them are perfect.

I agree that it is generally unreasonable to request this. If someone is looking for that level of due diligence, a PPI or local sale is in order. I would be happy to scope my rockers in a sale, but it is a lot to ask.

I also agree that the forum can be judgmental on cars. I think this usually occurs in a handful of scenarios.

• disproportionately high priced cars
  • all cars listed as factory/concours correct
  • extremely rough cars.
  • cars offered by clearly arrogant sellers
However, even in those auctions many flaws are intentionally overlooked. I would say that in general, most members and are more concerned about looking like a negative nancy than they are about appearing knowledgeable. I know this to be true because any longtime e9 owner can spot discrepancies even if they don’t proclaim to be an expert.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@HonaloochieBoogie -

I agree that it is generally unreasonable to request this. If someone is looking for that level of due diligence, a PPI or local sale is in order. I would be happy to scope my rockers in a sale, but it is a lot to ask.

I also agree that the forum can be judgmental on cars. I think this usually occurs in a handful of scenarios.

• disproportionately high priced cars
  • all cars listed as factory/concours correct
  • extremely rough cars.
  • cars offered by clearly arrogant sellers
However, even in those auctions many flaws are intentionally overlooked. I would say that in general, most members and are more concerned about looking like a negative nancy than they are about looking knowledgeable. I know this to be true because any longtime e9 owner can spot discrepancies even if they don’t proclaim to be an expert.

Edit: Reading through the comments. It is quite easy to get good glovebox photos without removing a thing. Overall I think the pics are pretty good.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I post sometimes but try not to pick at cars. There will be plenty of those. The ones that bug me are the same couple of guys who have posts in the thousands and yet are not buyers. Armchair critics.
This car was once in Atlanta. None of us knew the owner then or remember seeing the car. My car came from the same dealer a year before this one. I did have a BMW friend in NC post that this was his bosses car and was really nice.
Gary

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
IOverall I think the pics are pretty good.
To clarify, my comments about the photos relate to the wide variety of color variation that I assume are camera related. If I was bidding, I’d ask about it. Here’s 2 consecutive photos of the seats to illustrate the point.
147F452C-AD2F-4BC4-AAB8-021723BCEEE5.png
6BB94F63-2880-4F84-9D3F-2B1F73455339.png

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As a group, I think we are pretty brutal about cars posted here. We all seem to want make sure everyone on the forum knows how much we know by pointing out every little problem and detail.

Vince - I learned a lot about coupes in the three years I spent looking for mine from following the commentary on the forum about cars that came on the market.

I honestly believe the vast majority of the comments posted here are posted in good faith. Rarely do I believe that people were trying to show off their knowledge by commenting on areas for improvement. And I believe it is even more unusual to find folks here who are bashing or denigrating a car unfairly.

If folks here refrained from commenting on cars for sale, those of us who start out with lower levels of knowledge on these cars are going to have a hard time getting up to speed.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vince - I learned a lot about coupes in the three years I spent looking for mine from following the commentary on the forum about cars that came on the market.

I honestly believe the vast majority of the comments posted here are posted in good faith. Rarely do I believe that people were trying to show off their knowledge by commenting on areas for improvement. And I believe it is even more unusual to find folks here who are bashing or denigrating a car unfairly.

If folks here refrained from commenting on cars for sale, those of us who start out with lower levels of knowledge on these cars are going to have a hard time getting up to speed.

I agree, this is a great group with a ton of knowledge. My comments above we're really about frustrations with some of commenters on BaT about our cars. The constant 'Armchair Critics', as Gary calls them, that have no intention of buying anything.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree, this is a great group with a ton of knowledge. My comments above we're really about frustrations with some of commenters on BaT about our cars. The constant 'Armchair Critics', as Gary calls them, that have no intention of buying anything.
I agree that the "watch out for all the rust" people on BAT are tiresome and that it does indeed appear on BAT that some folks are trying to impress the internet with their knowledge as opposed to being helpful.

That said, I really like the way this section of the forum accumulates coupe sales information, including commentary from members about their impressions of the condition of cars that are offered for sale. And I agree with Markos that we as a group are often more negative in situations where an ad taken at face value could result in an unsuspecting buyer having a very bad experience (for any number of reasons).

Cliff-Dogg

Reaction score
Good afternoon - I am the seller of the '73 3.0 CS on BAT right now and would first like to say that I am not a very active member on the site. I welcome any requests and am more than open to a PPI. I have had some bidders come to see the car by themselves which is how I learned about the car's discussion on the site. When I had the car detailed last I made the decision to have the undercarriage blacked out. All of the rust on this car has been removed and there was no expense spared. There really are no excuses to be made for this car and like I said I welcome a PPI. In hindsight I guess maybe I should have left the underside alone, but it is dry and complete. Thank you

Cliff-Dogg

Reaction score
To clarify, my comments about the photos relate to the wide variety of color variation that I assume are camera related. If I was bidding, I’d ask about it. Here’s 2 consecutive photos of the seats to illustrate the point.
View attachment 123103View attachment 123102
I am the owner/seller and can add some clarity here. The lighting affected the pictures on the top more than expected. The bottom picture is accurate to the interior of the car.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good afternoon - I am the seller of the '73 3.0 CS on BAT right now and would first like to say that I am not a very active member on the site. I welcome any requests and am more than open to a PPI. I have had some bidders come to see the car by themselves which is how I learned about the car's discussion on the site. When I had the car detailed last I made the decision to have the undercarriage blacked out. All of the rust on this car has been removed and there was no expense spared. There really are no excuses to be made for this car and like I said I welcome a PPI. In hindsight I guess maybe I should have left the underside alone, but it is dry and complete. Thank you
This car looks very nice and hope it does well for you

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
BTW, if the restoration photos do not show rocker work, then if you want MAXIMUM bidding, rocker cover removal would perhaps gain you another $10k at least.

Just my $0.02.

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hard to believe this car fetched 162K and the Silver Surfer/CoupeKing car on BaT last week fizzled out at 150K (RNM)