Another CSI on BaT. This time a ‘75.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
These things are popping up like 911s!
First observation, what’s going on with the paint/body? The fenders appear darker than the doors.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Weird, for being an all Italian specimen it has the mirrors placed in the US locations.
Temperature controls have German legends but the air conditioning plate is in English.
There is a BMW CC of America member sticker in the car...
The windshield is a Turkish brand. The compression gauge being used is Snap-on... where was this work done?
The Lucas battery tends to be UK and maybe US brand. In Italy I would expect a Varta or Bosch.

tmh

Reaction score
Individuals reaching their bidding limits on the 73 blue car have a concession option.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One of the last built. Early seats with even earlier headrests without the peaks, doors panels were redone to match seats and lost the perforations but it looks like the armrests are the original dark blue. Does anyone else have that jack with the longer handle? I added that pic to our FAQ.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
First observation, what’s going on with the paint/body? The fenders appear darker than the doors.
Agreed. I can't tell if the body line down the length of the car is not defined well or the reflection of the ground makes it look that way. Some of the exterior photos add more questions than answers.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, the seats are definitely wrong, but at least they have the proper stitching (unlike the other CSi for sale on BAT).

If that other one is $130k, this one should be $150k, given the #s matching engine and CLEAN underside!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
These things are popping up like 911s!

May just be the lighting, but ya, I see that:

1975_bmw_3-0csi_161844276128ba38c36e766ed769Exterior-2.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it me, or the paint seems a bit messy at places:
This is the dilemma I have with my '73tii project. Ten years ago I paid to have the car painted. It's an "okay" paint job, and if I were selling the car for $12k like it was worth for a long time it would be fine. Because of my ability to foresee the future value, I mean, because of my procrastination, the car is now worth $40k+, which makes me re-evaluate the quality of the work done on the car. As is stands I plan on repainting the top surfaces (hood, roof, decklid) because they weren't prepped well enough and show some spidering and small divots under the paint. These coupes need to be nit-picked even more now because of their high value.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Doing a color change or a complete (engine compartment, jams, trunk, etc.) is SOOOO much work. I have done 2...I'll think hard before I do another. To do it right the car needs to be torn COMPLETELY apart (engine out and compartment disassembled, glass out, doors disassembled and off, trunk lid off, trunk compartment disassembled, interior out, data plates off, etc) , and then the cleaning and sanding starts :( . To shortcut it produces results like teahead shows. IMO it is far better to NOT do a complete if it is going to be shortcut. The end result is worse than just cleaning and minimal touch up.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it me, or the paint seems a bit messy at places

Nop, quite right. Especially here you can are that the paint reacts with another chemical that dissolves it.
20210503_210728.jpg
It can be a non matching underlying layer (wrong base paint or fatty substances will do this), but it can also be a materials on top that dissolves it; A solvent, but also brake fluid will do this.
It is actually how it looks after you apply paint stripper.

For sure the paint with flake if you wipe it. It has no protective effect at all.

I for one would not want to buy such a car, without factoring in a bare metal respray; how can you trust that the rest will be still ok next year?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nop, quite right. Especially here you can are that the paint reacts with another chemical that dissolves it.
View attachment 118315
It can be a non matching underlying layer (wrong base paint or fatty substances will do this), but it can also be a materials on top that dissolves it; A solvent, but also brake fluid will do this.
It is actually how it looks after you apply paint stripper.

For sure the paint with flake if you wipe it. It has no protective effect at all.

I for one would not want to buy such a car, without factoring in a bare metal respray; how can you trust that the rest will be still ok next year?
Good eye. It's also a little strange that they would apply a sticker over the top of this bad area and not notice or care.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Almost $200K now....LOL...what is going on? This is getting crazy...neener neener, I have more money than you do.....WTF? is right......

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
These values are just nuts... In a good/not good way.
I love that the car I bought for $10,000 10 years ago is worth this much - but it really makes me think about what I want to do with the car after SFDon is finished with it...

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hammer at $203,000. Plus 5K buyers premium. Another record at auction smashed.

Does anyone know who these bidders are?