Another Milwaukee e3

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
I've been on the board for nearly four years with only a handful of posts and am now prompted by my nearby fellow e3'er, Luis, to introduce my '73 Verona e3 as well as myself. My interest in BMW (oh yes, Porsche too) began in the mid 60's when serving as an MP in Germany. About a year after my return to the states I bought a three year old '67 1600 which sparked a now 45 year long odyssey of the cars from Munich - about 25 in total. I owned both a 2500 and a '72 Bavaria back in the day when they were daily kid haulers, grocery getters, occasional autocrossers, etc., but midwestern winters took their toll so by the time the e12 appeared they had become just a historical, but fond, footnote in my BMW lineage.

In 2006, however, I stumbled upon an ad for a very original 73K mile Verona '73 Bavaria which had but one owner for its first 32 years. Purchased new at Fox Valley Imports, a tiny and short lived BMW dealership in Neenah, Wisconsin by a firefighter (red, of course) from Manitowoc, Wi., the car had been carefully maintained and driven summers only. At about the time of the owner's retirement he decided to part with the car in order to tackle an Austin Healy project so he parked it at Road America during a vintage race with a 3x5 card For Sale sign and 48 hours later it was on a road trip to Florida with a vintage Porsche racer who, though he had nothing but flat six air cooled cars in his possession, was smitten by the condition of the e3. Though he drove it less that an thousand miles after getting it home, he did make a couple of nice improvement; radiator rebuild, water pump, fan clutch and a 265 5-speed. Within 18 months, however, the space occupied by the Bavaria was needed for additional long hood Porsches and his subsequent ad is what caught my eye. A couple of phone calls later, followed by an airline reservation to Tampa and I was on my way.

These are photos taken by the Florida seller:

Note: It still has its Wisconsin plate on the front.

73BavariaRFQ-L.jpg

73BavariaFueldoor-L.jpg

73BavariaInstruments-L.jpg

73BavariaSpare-L.jpg

73BavariaLights-L.jpg

As is evidenced in the first and last images, the Bavaria is surrounded by a sea of P-cars and soon to be displaced by more; a fact which pleases me.

Within eighteen months of the car's arrival back in Wisconsin a fairly significant, though not cosmetic, transformation will begin, so there's more to come...

Thanks,
Jim

Bwana

Reaction score
Yes, pictures please! I think I'm finally in the market for one of these, my e9 is far too original to start messing with the engine but an e3 might just be the ticket

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow, your Bavaria is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more!

Drew

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautious. Love the color.I also now know how the jack is supposed to be stored.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
A few more "as bought" images, complete with lens flare:

73BavariaDriver%27sfloor-L.jpg

73BavariaSeatBacks-L.jpg

73BavariaToolkit-L.jpg

73BavariaDoorTag-L.jpg

73BavariaRRQ-L.jpg

When I was presented with the car in person and had a chance to carefully view the details I was both relieved and delighted. With the exception of modest speakers added to the package shelf, the car was exactly as built in Dec. of '72 and obviously well cared for. In the glove box was the original owner's manual (not even smudged fingerprints), the window sticker, dealer invoice for floor mats and the extra valet key. So far I'm smiling, but eager to hit the road for the real test and confirmation of my long distance purchase.

I drove the car back to Wisconsin in the spring of '06 and though the trip was great fun and generally uneventful, I did make notes of small "attention needed" areas. My wife would chuckle at reading this since she correctly states that where cars are concerned, I can't leave well enough alone. She's of the opinion that at some point a car should be "finished", but of course that never happens. What fun would that be? In BMW parlance I refer to it as the CSI factor; Constant State of Improvement.

The engine showed symptoms of semi-advanced valve guide wear but since I have visions of an "improved performance" engine rebuild in the future, I decide that I'll live with a bit of smoke on deceleration for now.

The Solexes, however, are proving problematic and since I'm carburetor challenged the car goes to my friend, Jim K., who owns and independent BMW shop and was, in his early years, a factory trained BMW technician. Jim's frank opinion is that the carbs were an issue even the cars were new: they did rebuilds of them under warranty! He said he'd rebuild them for me but his strong recommendation was that I opt for Weber 32/36 DGV and so that's what we did. Big improvement right away. While access to the starter is better with the carbs off we decide to install a new one - since the original is 35 years old I justify the replacement as preventative maintenance.

Here's the engine compartment before and after Webers:

73Bavariaunderhood-L.jpg

I'm not fond of the chrome K&N filter tops so later paint them hammered silver, ala Solex 356 air cleaners.

DSC_0012-L.jpg

For the next two summers I'll mostly drive and enjoy the car while adding a few bits and pieces along the way.

I found a set of original 16" staggered Alpina alloys on German Ebay, The springs are replaced with Ireland units along with their 22mm front sway bar and an adjustable rear and the shocks are swapped for Bilstein HDs.

The original no-name driving lights get replaced with Cibie Oscars that I had in my stash of future-use parts and the crappy tungsten headlights with H4's and H1's.

I tried an Alpina steering wheel left over from previous 2002 use but don't think it looks right and also blocks full view of the instrument panel. I have friend in Indiana who has been collecting original Nardi steering wheels for years and discovered that he had an optional equipment 2000CS wheel complete with a (nearly) impossible to find correct horn button. He claimed to be very fond of the wheel (even though he had not a single BMW) but, that of course, was simply a ploy to cause me to dig deeper into my pocket and to which I duly complied. And yes, it is as huge as the original but I love the feel of it and think it a great enhancement to an otherwise sorta' staid interior.

At a point when it needed new front rotors and likely caliper rebuild, I decided that in light of possible future engine enhancements that I would make a modest upgrade. There are multi piston calipers and larger rotors available for these cars but I did not want to loose the option of using 14" wheels so I opted for the later 3.0si ventilated rotors/calipers. Same swept area and clamping force, but much improved cooling; it's a driver and won't be on the Nordschleife any time soon.

DSC_0014-L.jpg

DSC_0007-L.jpg

TE0_3440-L.jpg

It's now late Summer of 2007 and my wife and I are about to depart on an epic Bavaria road trip. First is Hendersonville, NC to visit my dad, who is the genesis of my automobile affliction, then Spartanburg for the Euro Auto Festival, Charleston and Savannah for enriching our historical perspective and lastly Rennsport Reunion III at Daytona. Whether you are of a Porsche persuasion or not, this event is IMHO one of the premier vintage sports car events in North America. Significant Porsche race cars from all points on the globe as well as their iconic drivers/engineers/team principals converge for three days of fully accessible static display, track time, seminars, photo/autograph sessions, etc.. And if your attending in a P-car, some track time for you as well. Great fun, but OK, enough on that already...

We are going to experience a truly memorable three weeks on the road and though the great majority of it is positive and the Verona beauty will return us home safely, she will also exhibit some telltale signs of age which will necessitate under hood, driveline and suspension.. um, improvements in coming months and years.

More to come...

Jim

Last edited:

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your Bav looks great!
And, so similar my 1970 2800 Eurospec, now residing in Atlanta, GA.
See photos after it was re-painted in the original Granada, while was still on the Left Coast:
http://www.coupeking.com/listings/2800-bavaria-e3/

Great car, Andy! I knew that car when Gordon owned it and always admired it. On a side note, Gordon was on business in Florida at the time I picked up the '73 and when he noted that the car was marked it as "sold", contacted the seller to ask if the new owner would meet him on the way out of town. I duly complied and met Gordon at a shopping center so he could see the car. A nice fellow and good caretaker of now your super example.

Cheers,

Jim

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andycoupe......you removed all moldings or that is the way it came? Although I thankfully have the old style US bumper, I like the euro version even more so. My car is Riviera blue and everyone loves the color....but that red is awesome.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jim, great post. I didn't know 'the rest of the story'... Very cool. Look forward to reading and seeing the progression to its present day condition....

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
We've been to the Euro Auto Festival three times and with three different cars over the past ten years and never fail to have a great time. Held on the beautiful grounds of BMW's Spartanburg plant and underwritten by them, the proceeds all go to the area Red Cross. They open the museum to attendees as well as provide their latest vehicles for fast track fun at a modest fee and, at least during each of our visits, order up wonderful S.C. Autumn weather. The feature a different automobile marque each year and there is a wonderful variety of cars on display. I highly recommend the event.

DSC_0039-L.jpg

We had a great time at the show but after our stay in Spartanburg the car began to exhibit high engine temperatures, a fairly common issue with all BMW models of the era. It would stay fairly cool when moving, but reach what I would consider dangerous levels when stopped or moving slowly. We're 800 miles from home and heading further south; I surely don't want a meltdown now.

While in Charleston I replaced the thermostat with a spare and bled the system of air but the issue reappeared after our five day stay and subsequent drive to Savannah. I made a couple of calls to folks on the "Friends of BMW" list while in route and was able to find a BMW specialty shop which was quite accommodating in not only accepting the challenge, they even transported us to our downtown hotel, luggage and all.

What they discovered was that the bottom 20% of the radiator was almost completely clogged with an unidentified congealed white substance which, at some point in the car's history, might have been some sort of magic elixir for a leak or improved cooling. In any case, it was now severely restricting the flow of coolant. To their surprise and my benefit, they scoured their upstairs vintage parts conglomeration and discovered a NOS radiator which they promptly exchanged for the original along with fresh coolant and we were again on our way. With now comfortable engine temperatures we regained the confidence that we could continue south to our Daytona thing and then make the trek back north without further issue.

Between Savannah and Daytona we hooked up pre-planned with some friends on I-95 and one of the passengers snapped this:

In an earlier attempt to help cooling I removed both Oscars and only half finished the reinstall.

JimVO%2520Edit-L.jpg

While at Rennsport we were but one vintage Munich car in a sea of those from Stuttgart:

DSC_0099-L.jpg

On the way back home I decided that I wanted to fix the valve guide issue and that, at now 80K miles, it doesn't make sense not to rebuild the full engine. Besides that, I've always wanted to build an "improved output" M30 engine with three sidedrafts (I've been a fan of Alpina for decades) and improved cylinder head flow. The second task I wish to accomplish is to replace all of the tired out bushings in the suspension. I road tested (pre and post installation) a friend's 2002 many years ago which had received all new bushings and the improvement road feel and input response was remarkable. I'm figuring that it's going to take about a year to get this done but predictably, Murphy is going to intervene in numerous and devious ways.

About six weeks after getting home this occurred:

IMG_0458-L.jpg

And shortly thereafter these arrived:

DSC_0006-L.jpg

So I'm on my way.

More to come...

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited:

johnl

Reaction score
Did I notice that the photo of the car on the highway only has one aux light and the other photos have the set. What am I missing :?: