Another road trip...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Earlier this year drove the Bavarious up to Port Renfrew, BC to hike the West Coast Trail with my son and a few of his friends. Came back through my birth place in Montana and had a great time - the only E3 on the road...
58QWaGz.jpg

I have since been invited to navigate in the 2017 LaCarrera Panamericana, a stage rally in Mexico in mid-October. There are three 2002's competing this year, and many other interesting cars. I plan to drive to Laredo to join the convoy to the starting place in Querétaro. My driver is a Corvette racer from Naples FL and we are racing a 1965 Ford Falcon built in Mexico by Mats Hammarlund. Gonna be a lot of fun...

Some of the cars and competitors...
http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx/2017/en/competitors-2/

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks like a hoot! Earplugs....
1956 Buick Centurion is a new one on me...and now I now why you seldom see a Studebaker Commander in the US..

Last edited:

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Looks like a hoot! Earplugs....
1956 Buick Centurion is a new one on me...and now I now why you seldom see a Studebaker Commander in the US..

In the old rules the fastest class was called Tourismo Mayor - 1954 and older cars with 360" V-8's and more modern suspensions. The Studebakers are the slipperiest design of that age and pretty much rule the class.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Just got home yesterday from my 6000+ mile road trip and the Bav performed superbly. Had a valve stem failure in Texas, the gas gauge was a little jumpy on the way down into Mexico, and it developed a slight rattle in the front end in Queretaro which turned out to be a loose collar on the strut insert. There are so many wonderful and interesting back roads to drive, like Hwy 152 between Caballo and Santa Clara, NM, Route 66 from AshFork to Catfish City AZ, or the Angeles Crest Highway on the way from Big Bear Lake to La Canada, CA.