Any experience w/ outdoor cedar saunas and/or spas?

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Like here: https://www.redwoodoutdoors.com/outdoor-saunas/

I was considering building a chickee hut-type structure here which I might screen in and use as a gym. Inside, I thought it might be cool to put one of these saunas. Has anyone here ever purchased a sauna such as this? Or one of the cedar hot tubs offered by companies like this, for that matter? Thought it might be cool putting all this together as a separate module within my back yard rather than attempting to retrofit a spa to the 1950s kidney bean pool.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
THanks for the link!

I want to have a hot tub on my bulkhead, but it's impossible to have a regular huge hot tub transported from the street. I.e. I would have to "barge" it in and lift it up over the seawall.

Having something like this to build on site would be ideal.

I also thought about having this thing as it's much cheaper, but I can't see how a 110v heater would do anything:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob, We have a 2-3 person 250 gallon hot tub which runs on 120V and we keep it set at 102 or so. Going to 500 gallons you would need 240V I think. The smaller tub is great, uses less electricity and stays hot. These are not like gas fired tubs where you can choose a temp each day, with these you set it and forget it. It cost us about $40 a month but it depends what tier you are in. Those non-rigid tubs aren’t great, the price says it all. Ours cost $5,000 delivered.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, I'd love to have a rigid tub, but it'd probably cost me $5k just to deliver it (again, by barge).

From the above website, I see this one for $7500 (ouch!):

Would like to hear reviews on it.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The one I have is a swim-spa, and it came handy during the pandemic while gyms, pools, and most other exercise venues were closed. It has two powerful pumps and you swim against the water current they make.
Mine is electrically heated (240V) and for swimming one can keep it colder than a regular hot tub.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would have loved to have a swim-spa during the shut down. Luckily, we have a nice treadmill which was a must during that time. I run a lot but when I get injured (which happens more than it used to), I like to swim. Going to a pool is a hassle, half the time you have to share a lane with someone.

We have a nice hot tub that my wife and I love but if it ever dies I'm lobbying for a swim-spa.