any recommendations on car transportation?

duane_sword

Reaction score
Hi coupe friends

So I am pleased to say that my 1993 BMW E34 M5 is going to a fellow enthusiast in Denver Colorado.

Does anyone have a trusted recommendation for a covered transportation/carrier to get the car from Boston to Denver?

Quotes range from ~$800 to ~$1600 and it is hard to assertain which firm is to be trusted with the beast.

Thanks for any recommendations.

duane_sword

Reaction score
LOL - very generous offer, but I don't think that is what the new owner has in mind :lol:

I transported my E9 from Seattle WA to Boston MA for ~$1500 in an enclosed trailer, it was expensive at the time (8years ago) but it was a very well referenced company for classic/exotic transportation... unfortunately the company died...

TodB

Reaction score
transport

I paid ~$1000 to ship a car to Boulder from Boston via open truck last Fall.

Check out this site to get quotes and reviews of transport companies.

http://www.transportreviews.com/About/AboutReviews.asp

Pick someone who is insured (no duh) and who will commit to not moving your car from truck to truck while it is enroute (get that in writing). You also want a driver whom you can call while the truck is enroute so you know where it is at all times.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Transport

Duane,

Here are two names that have delivered cars to the Colorado Grand repeatedly:
http://www.sundayautotransport.com/ and http://www.exoticcartransport.com/

Not cheap but fairly priced :roll: And anyway, our baby's deserve the best. My experience with a broker is not good. You never know who is going to transport it and with what equipment. I can vouch for these two guys.

As a Denver area resident, PM me about your buyer if he or she is interested in a fellow coupe fan here in his or her town. Congratulations on you sale...I think? :( :shock:

I'll second Arde's offer for just a plane ticket and expenses :lol:

Ross

acat2002

Reaction score
I've shipped many cars and the best advice I can give you is do not under any circumstances use a broker, or a shipping agent who does not own and operate "the asset" a/k/a the truck and driver. When you do a Google search for auto transport, a lot of these logistics brokers come up and act as middle men for independent shippers. You will have nothing but headaches and will only save a little money.

I haven't tried Fed Ex Auto Transport yet, but they are always advertising in PCA magazine. FedEx purchased an auto transport company a few years back and decideto get into the auto game. Obviously, there is some confidence when using a household name like FedEx. I remember getting a quote from them a few months ago and while they were a few hundred dollars more than Intercity Lines, it may be a good place to start.

Again, make sure you're dealing directly with the company that owns and operates the trucks.

Also try INtercity Lines. They are located in Warren, MA and deal with exotic transports all the time. They may not have as many east-west transport trips as they do north-south, but try them as well.

Good luck

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Reliable privately owned closed transport

I have had very good cross country success spanning several years with Bob and Debbie Beverly--

They are Independent Owner's/Operators of twin, two vehicle closed transporters and specialize in transporting fine autos. I have used their services in both directions on several occasions. They are good people, home based in Charlotte, NC. and cover the country with their services--although preferring to avoid Mid-town Manhattan. I know both personally and each is a very skilled operator and handler. In recent years they have been a primary transport service for Carrol Shelby Cars from his Las Vegas base of operations.

Their fees are not the cheapest but believe you will find them to be competitive door to door--fees being influenced largely by diesel fuel costs.

Contact is by phone only: Bob Beverly 704-907-7967
Debbie 704-907-2124 Often it is easier to reach Debbie. Tell them Murray suggested that you call.

duane_sword

Reaction score
thank you for all of the advice and wisdom! I love this forum!

I will report back on the decision taken.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
car haulers..

Duane,
I've used Bob Beverly twice; an e9 from TX to NC, and an engine, tranny, and a couple of seats from CA to NC. Nice folks, fair prices, quality uno. Dave V. in NC

Terry S.

Reaction score
car haulers

Hi Duane-

I used Bob Beverly to transport my coupe from southern California to North Carolina. He was careful and delivered on time, despite being delayed by another delivery for a customer. He had for about six hours for a surgeon customer to complete emergency surgery (I believed his explanation as I am a surgeon myself) In fact, he personally delivered my coupe to my driveway later that evening. He stayed in touch with me during the delay, which I appreciated. He came recommended by BLUMAX and I can say that my experience with Bob was a good one. I also liked the fact that I was supporting someone who I feel really enjoys his job as an individual hauler and that he had a reputation of which he is proud and would work to keep.

Also, great pictures and story of your coupe in the December issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars. It would be great to see it down here in North Carolina at the "Vintage in the Vineyards" event... but please don't transport it here! The Blue Ridge Parkway is waaaay too much fun to drive...

duane_sword

Reaction score
fellow coupe friends

I owe several beers of thanks to you guys.... coupe cruise some day!?

We have called and engaged Bob Beverly to haul the M5 from Boston to Denver, he will be picking it up this weekend.

very very grateful for all of the advice and references,

thank you again.

as much as I will miss my beautiful M5 (having a baby recently and not enough garage space in Boston caused the trigger) I am thrilled that it is going to a guy that "gets" what the car is all about, will respect it and knows that it isn't like a 300hp push rod American V8.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Bob Bevery has delivered the E34 M5 to a new and proud caretaker in Colorado.

Many thanks to:
* bluemax
* Dave V
* Terry S

thank you.

Bob knows (and respects) cars, and he is a BMW fan to boot!