Anyone ever use pearl in an OEM color?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This wouldn't happen anytime soon but since I'm painting my son's S2000 with three stage pearl I wondered if anyone has added pearl to an OEM color before? My E3 is Chamonix, which I like, but I've always thought it was a little dull (off white) for my taste. Wondering what a little pearl would do to it, obviously going with three stage instead of single.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ohmess's CS is pearlescent Chamonix-like.

IMG_3957.JPG

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This wouldn't happen anytime soon but since I'm painting my son's S2000 with three stage pearl I wondered if anyone has added pearl to an OEM color before? My E3 is Chamonix, which I like, but I've always thought it was a little dull (off white) for my taste. Wondering what a little pearl would do to it, obviously going with three stage instead of single.
I think that is an interesting idea.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Andrew's description of my paint is a good one. The color came with the car, but as of now I am thinking I will keep it when I redo my paint.

I think my color is a little creamier than Chamonix. I had originally thought it was a GM color, but I've researched and have not found an exact match. Here are a couple other pictures of my car:

Mid afternoon, Lime Rock, CT:

IMG_1234.jpg

Early Evening, clear skies, Monterey, CA:

Jet Set I.jpg

Overcast mid afternoon, Pittsburgh, PA:

PVGP Pretty Picture.jpg

Roger S

Reaction score
I used GMC's white diamond pearl on my o2. My painter thought the Chamonix was a little flat and I deferred. He suggested that it was close enough to Chamonix. Toward staying on topic, maybe the pearl used in GMC formula used in the OEM paint might be attractive? In the sun, it has a creamy or gold hue. In darker rooms, more silver.

Fifteen years later, the paint is still sharp and has held up wonderfully (not exposed to sun when not driven). As with any pearl (triple stage paint), one must be very careful to avoid dings/scratches. Any attempted touch ups can look worse than the concern, especially if more than one panel is not sprayed to ensure a proper blend.

IMG_4333.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I used GMC's white diamond pearl on my o2. My painter thought the Chamonix was a little flat and I deferred. He suggested that it was close enough to Chamonix. Toward staying on topic, maybe the pearl used in GMC formula used in the OEM paint might be attractive? In the sun, it has a creamy or gold hue. In darker rooms, more silver.

Fifteen years later, the paint is still sharp and has held up wonderfully (not exposed to sun when not driven). As with any pearl (triple stage paint), one must be very careful to avoid dings/scratches. Any attempted touch ups can look worse than the concern, especially if more than one panel is not sprayed to ensure a proper blend.

View attachment 67550View attachment 67551

Very nice. I think that is the color on my car, but other GM examples I have seen don't look like my car. Maybe its because BMWs just make that particular color look a whole lot better.

Roger S

Reaction score
I like the color better on your e9. The s2000, like the e9, is low and long, which promotes the color.

Every few years the height of the o2 makes me want to put the trim back on and do a wrap ala the Alpina race cars. Without the belt line, the cut line is lost on the door. Off topic but Chris, I love your coupe. Dan, I think the Honda would wear it well. What color interior?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the color better on your e9. The s2000, like the e9, is low and long, which promotes the color.

Every few years the height of the o2 makes me want to put the trim back on and do a wrap ala the Alpina race cars. Without the belt line, the cut line is lost on the door. Off topic but Chris, I love your coupe. Dan, I think the Honda would wear it well. What color interior?
I don't think I explained it correctly. I happened to be painting my son's car, OEM Indy Yellow, but it made me wonder about painting my e3 Chamonix with pearl. I'll have plenty of pearl left so I'll paint up samples... In about two years. LOL

Honolulu

Reaction score
my wife's '73 Bavaria had been repainted quite nicely with something like Chamonix and some gold pearl. We liked it a lot. It does (can) fade particularly with the high-UV light in Hawaii. Everything here fades...

The caution about not scratching it is well taken and my wife's car went to the body shop twice. One (which did all the scratch and dent repair for the local dealer) did a 30-30 match, the other small shop guy did it perfectly. Guess who we go back to.