Anyone Here Taken Apart a Hella City Light

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone on this board taken apart a Hella City Light? The glue seal on one of mine has yellowed and I would like to take it apart to clean it up and reseal it with clear silicone. Have any of you attempted this? Is it even possible? The city lights are kind of rare so I don't want to break it.

Thanks in advance!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've taken off the lens of 8" H4 lights that are on the front of late Porsche 928's that had a leak, cleaned off all the sealant and used windshield sealant to reseal and attach. Lasted for the several years I continued to drive that car.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but when I put Mercedes bi-xenons in my e39 I baked the light assembly at 200 degrees for about ten minutes to soften the glue to enable the separation of the housing. (My wife was not happy to find automotive components in the oven; I had thought she was going to be gone longer).

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ohmess,

Had to chuckle at your experience with the 'discovery' in the oven. I've had the same experience a couple of times - oven once and dishwasher once. Thank goodness my wife is somewhat tolerant of these aberrations!