Anyone into Dual Sport bikes?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Recently sold my woods race bike (YZ 250X), as it was not all that happy going slow and I am not all that happy going fast and bought a small 650 adventure/touring bike. Last month I went to Colorado and rented a DR400Z to ride for 4 days in Moab, Utah. I don't think I have ever been to a more amazing landscape. I have a desire to put together an even smaller touring bike to head back that way and possibly try the Trans America Trail to get there. Leaning towards a Yamaha WR250R. Here is some dual sport footage of this and other places that has me hooked.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That sounds like a blast. What are the logistics? I’d think you might lose some needed grunt and braking if you try to pack a 250 w very much. And I’m assuming no one is riding a 250 on highways for extended periods. Trailer to a staging point and drop supplies at intervals?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
People are riding loaded WR250Rs at about 65 to 70 MPH all over the world. The motor will rev all day and has a 27,000 mile valve inspection interval. It is based on the R1 superbike engine (1 cylinder) . It lacks torque, but loves to rev. My setup would have a 4.7 gallon tank and get about 60 MPG. This engine is known for extreme durability. It wouldn't be ideal out of North America though because it wants high octane and is fuel injected. It would be lacking in grunt, especially at elevation. My camping gear is mostly for bicycle touring, so other than gas and water, relatively light. The rental Suzuki DRZ 400 was really nicely setup and might be preferable. It is quite torquey, but flat when revved and feels heavier in single track. Not the greatest on the highway. Also known to be bullet proof. Most adventure bikes as currently marketed are going too heavy with too much horsepower to be good off road. On dirt roads, they want to go way too fast. If you tip them over, you risk a hernia trying to pick up a 600 pound bike.
Renting this bike out of Grand Junction Colorado, then driving to Moab and around the White Rim trail was about as good a mini vacation as I have ever had. Again, blown away by the Majesty of Colorado and Utah. You feel pretty alive knowing you can fall off a 1000 foot cliff at any moment.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are some cell photos. A Jeep would fit though the tilted rock for pespective.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2f.jpeg
    695.8 KB · Views: 138
  • fullsizeoutput_2e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2e.jpeg
    614.2 KB · Views: 142
  • fullsizeoutput_26.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_26.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 137
  • fullsizeoutput_2d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2d.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here’s a good article w mods to address some of the things mentioned.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/09/yamaha-wr250r-adventure-bike-conversion-project/

Even w/o all these mods ($12k 250 seems extravagant), you could buy the suggested sprockets and have a shop switch them out. Seems like there’s a moto shop in every Colo small town. I’m still too big a chicken to ride a 250 on my routes to Colo—either interstate or backroads with frack tankers, pumper trucks, or rednecks doing 90. But I’ve had the dreaded lay down crash & surgery from an SUV turning in front of me. That sucked all the joy out of the blacktop for me.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That article is mostly about dropping coin on stuff. . I think all you have to do on the WR is gearing and bigger tank and probably get the suspension dialed in for the load. I can buy a 2017 or older Yamaha with almost zero miles for about $4500 USD. I'd probably spend $2000 on extra gear, but it would not include any engine mods. I like this platform because it has a 350 watt stator and very long service intervals, while being relatively light weight. You are right though, you will feel very vulnerable on the highway being passed by trucks doing 20 MPH more than you. Glad you made it through that crash. Riding on the road seems crazy at times to me as well as I am just getting back into street riding after a long hiatus. I think I'd feel a lot safer out in the middle of nowhere going 45 mph tops.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That article is mostly about dropping coin on stuff. . I think all you have to do on the WR is gearing and bigger tank and probably get the suspension dialed in for the load. I can buy a 2017 or older Yamaha with almost zero miles for about $4500 USD. I'd probably spend $2000 on extra gear, but it would not include any engine mods. I like this platform because it has a 350 watt stator and very long service intervals, while being relatively light weight. You are right though, you will feel very vulnerable on the highway being passed by trucks doing 20 MPH more than you. Glad you made it through that crash. Riding on the road seems crazy at times to me as well as I am just getting back into street riding after a long hiatus. I think I'd feel a lot safer out in the middle of nowhere going 45 mph tops.

Agreed about the article. I was told MotoGP sponsors stopped providing promotional street bikes to riders, because almost none of them ride on the streets.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agreed about Colorado and Utah, some of the most beautiful country in the US! Made a trip there this weekend just for the beauty of it all.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed about the article. I was told MotoGP sponsors stopped providing promotional street bikes to riders, because almost none of them ride on the streets.
Yeah, I have a friend who is a race track bike junky and he has sold all his street bikes because he feels there are too many zombies behind the wheel.