Anyone put up their own metal building?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will need to replace a 30x80 building at some point and was wondering if any of you have put up a metal building before? I did a lot of work on a 4400sqft building in kit form and was impressed but I've been looking at the "hybrid" buildings for what I need to do. Like Perka brand, they provide the cantilevered frame supports for the span but use wood for all the purlins and rafters. I'm leaning toward one of those...

https://www.perkabuildings.com/

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a (metal skinned) pole building on my property. It is a from an outfit up here near Seattle...
https://permabilt.com/ 25'x25' - basically a generous 2 car garage in size.

The building has held up pretty good …. Here is a pic of it.
(It was 'oil change' day - Did the E9, Mustang and 911 all at once.... lol).

It has traditional wood trusses for roof support and with also a metal roof. There is some insulation along the underside of the roof and the walls. As the building is not heated, I have never really worried about the insulation (or lack thereof).

On a side note - I am in the process of moving to a new house. That place has a 50x72 shop. That shop is also a pole building - but with Hardy Plank siding and traditional asphalt shingle roof.

Attachments

• 20161022_160622.jpg
    20161022_160622.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 184

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah - It will be good. LOTS of space that I have somehow seemed to fill already. LOL.
This is a pic of the new shop...
In the second pic, I was seeing how my car trailer would fit.

Attachments

• 20180620_160055_001.jpg
    20180620_160055_001.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20180624_154448.jpg
    20180624_154448.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 136

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, heaven on earth! :D Your trailer fits fine as long as you don't keep your truck attached to it. Got a spot for a motor home... just sayin'

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah - It will be good. LOTS of space that I have somehow seemed to fill already. LOL.
This is a pic of the new shop...
In the second pic, I was seeing how my car trailer would fit.

Wow is right. You weren't messing around. Looks like plumbed for on-demand compressed air, too? What's the duct-work for in the back? I just lost out in bidding for a house with an older, metal-sided shop about this size, but not as well equipped. I've now just started looking at barn-style metal building options, but your air and electrical probably exceeds the cost of some of the buildings I was looking at.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My shop is 45' x 60, total in with dirt work, plumbing, I have a bath, toilet, shower and shop sink, electrical including 220, two double garage doors was just short of $85,000 which including lift, bead blaster and tons of other goodies! Heated and cooled, but I never stop, always looking for the next addition

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You just need a shorter tow vehicle, X5d?

LOL
Wouldn't tow 12,000 lbs.

Wow is right. You weren't messing around. Looks like plumbed for on-demand compressed air, too? What's the duct-work for in the back? I just lost out in bidding for a house with an older, metal-sided shop about this size, but not as well equipped. I've now just started looking at barn-style metal building options, but your air and electrical probably exceeds the cost of some of the buildings I was looking at.

Yes - there is an air compressor installed.
95% efficiency furnace too. The furnace is installed right behind where the car trailer was. The ducts are coming up out of it.
110V and 220V - There is a dedicated transformer on the property just for this building.
It was set up to have a MIL apartment in the second floor loft (on the left end of the building - I was on that end when I took the pic of the car trailer/truck combo.

I will finish it out (interior wise) this spring. Will have my office out there as well. When I do that - will put a heat pump for the living space - the second floor gets REAL hot in the summer and would be good to run both cooling and heating there.

Last edited: