Anyone use Posi taps and locks?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've not used these. They do seem well engineered however as he says at the end of the video only the special ones are waterproof so I wouldn't use the regular ones under the hood.

For their intended use in motorcycles where originality isn't an issue I'm sure they work fine. Even though my car is a driver and not a fully restored car, I still wouldn't use on my car except for emergency situations as it's not that hard to do a proper soldered splice with heat shrink tubing which then get wrapped with cloth tape.
I can see keeping a few in a tool kit along with some spare wire for repairs while traveling since our cars are getting along in age and unexpected failures do happen.

Ian

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am still doing the old school crimp, solder, heat shrink. I know solder joints can deteriorate over time, but then I've been soldering for 50 years now and old habits are hard to break.

TodB

Reaction score
There is also a solution out (I think it popped up on Instagram) that has soft solder inside a heat shrink tube. Put a wire in each end, heat it up, it seals the connection in solder and then the ends shrink to fit.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is also a solution out (I think it popped up on Instagram) that has soft solder inside a heat shrink tube. Put a wire in each end, heat it up, it seals the connection in solder and then the ends shrink to fit.

That’s pretty cool. One of the issues with solder is that over time the wire can snap where the solder ends.

I hate wire splicers. If I have a new wire under the dash I’ll run it to the fuse box. If I have cut wires I’ll use the same method as above, solder and heat shrink.

One point to mention. If you are splicing multiple wires, get to offset the splices. That way you don’t have a bulge in the harness when you wrap it back up.

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Solder Seal Wire Connector, something like this:
It works good but I still prefer crimping. Correctly executed it's unbeatable IMHO.