Anyone using Weber's with Alpina (repro) plenum?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have the original alpina b2 airbox and Solex carburettors.
One thing I don’t see in this thread are the rubber gaskets that mount between the airbox and intake runners which from memory are a couple mm thick.
I will try to snap some pics tonight, but I guess they would give the clearance you need. I am sure that can be easily replicated.

Please do! Easy enough to make. I’ll be sure to complicate the process however by adding technology to the equation.

JamesE30

Reaction score
Original alpina parts, gasket is a heavy rubber material about 3mm thick.

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG

JamesE30

Reaction score
Thanks, looks like about 3mm, I ordered some material that is about 2mm, maybe I should get thicker
did you buy or make these?
Mark

I did not buy or make them, as far a I can tell they are original.
I don't know how close the airbox is to the hood but I can imagine doubling up the 2mm to make 4mm wouldn't be an issue if you still needed a little clearance..

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks,
it is good they have lasted so long
I think after all the carps and horns are bolted up I can put a straight edge along them and see how in plane they are

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @James,

Do you have access to a scanner? If so, would you be willing to draw a trace of the gasket and scan it? If it is a chore don’t sweat it. I can do the same with the manifold, it is just a little awkward. I also need one dimension, like the width of the gasket in mm.mm. Again, not a big deal if it take you more than 8 hours (ok 15 minutes). :D

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @James,

Do you have access to a scanner? If so, would you be willing to draw a trace of the gasket and scan it? If it is a chore don’t sweat it. I can do the same with the manifold, it is just a little awkward. I also need one dimension, like the width of the gasket in mm.mm. Again, not a big deal if it take you more than 8 hours (ok 15 minutes). :D
Hey Mark, I plan on tracing the 'air horn'

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI - Now that @mark99 and I resolved the gasket issue, and thermostat relocation I am moving onto the plenum nuts. If you look at a restored car the nut usage on the plenum is all over the board. I see a number of cars with hexagonal nuts that look visually similar to the well-known Alpina lug nuts.

It turns out that BMW used similar chrome nuts on the Z4 and Z8, along with some other models. They aren’t cheap, but they are M6x1.0, and they are available:

I’m using ECS for reference pics. They are about $12 at the dealer:
236BE48B-BA06-460A-AAD1-3DE73A4505E0.jpeg

Reference Pics:
plenum.jpg

610CB2A7-4C0C-4222-BE37-BDFEA94F8F21.jpeg

21E6B464-34A7-4063-A3D0-4B1F42F6A792.jpeg

Full Articles just because:
6CA17A11-EEFF-47FB-BED4-4083ED226520.jpeg

9801F0E0-5954-4FD7-B9E0-8B8F9BA28D34.jpeg

B209D559-B47C-4840-9A36-0A3F8CF652E8.jpeg

FE009A8D-B0CC-4718-BD7A-A5C3D4F64BA8.jpeg

5555D4AE-D98C-45FF-B9DE-D3B838F64328.jpeg

1D67A0AF-6970-40F7-9341-49B9CDB2FE1A.jpeg

C02E0DEB-E474-4A19-866F-4BFC016655A9.jpeg

C20A9AF9-F427-4FA6-AEDF-0D8FA914AD65.jpeg

7CF2A967-EC60-42FE-9696-22E4035FB34D.jpeg

Key Users: @mark99 , @daddywad

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Compared to the cost of the carbs and filter box stuff, the cool hex nuts are chump change. Note the black painted valve cover with no "Alpina" on it. When my time machine is ready I know the first destinaton I am setting it to!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Compared to the cost of the carbs and filter box stuff, the cool hex nuts are chump change. Note the black painted valve cover with no "Alpina" on it. When my time machine is ready I know the first destinaton I am setting it to!

I’m thinking that there are at least three iterations on the intake manifold, and Mark’s version matches the final. Either that or iteration 3 is actually just Mark’s manifold.

There is the early one with no raised letters.
The second one with some odd casting marks (raised rectangles) near the edge.
The last crips one, also has a nicer breather tube fitting.

I have picture of all of them but that isn’t what his is about. :D

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

pmansson

Reaction score
Why use it? Yes, it looks cool and might have been the best solution in 1972, but it is heavy and Webers are nowhere as good as modern FI. The original Bosch FI system is also quite good.
foam filters on trumpets is the best solution, as far as I can make out.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why use it? Yes, it looks cool and might have been the best solution in 1972, but it is heavy and Webers are nowhere as good as modern FI. The original Bosch FI system is also quite good.

different strokes. Agreed that it is heavy as hell. I honestly wasn’t expecting that.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score

Easily remedied with dcoe pattern throttle bodies for modern day reliability and power. Looks incredible and it also means that for anyone stupid enough (such as myself) you can strap a leaf blower onto the exhaust and give your engine a 15psi Beijing Blow Job.

czbrat

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been watching the thread with interest, I don't believe anyone I have sold the airbox to so far has any major issues in fitting it all together.

Remember that when Alpina released this airbox / carb arrangement on the B2 they used both Weber 45 and Solex 40/45DDH. It must have been tight but they obviously had used both Weber and Solex so they must have fitted OK. Also the manifolds used may affect the overall position of the carb as they are at an angle that sets the carbs up nearer the bottom of the airbox. The ones I sell are copies of the Alpina one and may therefore differ slightly from yours.

The airbox is a very accurate copy and should fit, I'm sure you will overcome the slight interference problems with some trial and error. Please keep the feedback going.

The "PUROLATOR FILTER" was standard and cast into the airbox.

Mark

@daddywad,

Are you still selling these repro. Alpina airboxes? I'm planning on converting my E9 to triple webers with an alpina B2 airbox. Thanks.
Dan

stphers

Reaction score
Bel metric sells brass M6x1.0 domed nuts, once they have been polished up, they look great against something done in black I use a black wrinkle or another powder called hot rod black It is a smoother surface than wrinkle , a bit like rough sandpaper, looks pretty cool

Thanks, Rick