AT flud leaking around speedometer cable

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
72 Bavaria automatic. The ATF leaks around the insertion of the speedo cable into the tranny. All I could find was a "felt ring" on Real OEM (#2) which may be the culprit. Can somebody confirm and also how do you remove the cable from the tranny, just that screw above it? Thanks

38.png

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

My E3 has a ZF3HP22, yours might have a BW65. The ZF dipstick comes up on the driver's side. BW comes up on the passenger side. See the the parts diagrams below. I suspect item 19, the O-ring, is the culprit. What you posted is the speedo cable where it feeds into the back of the speedometer.
B0018504.png

ZF 3HP22 below. Also has an O-ring the same size:
B0018516.png

If you look up the ZF3HP20, it shows two different sizes for the O-ring. If I were you, I'd take it out and try measure it, which will be tricky.

McMaster might have it but here are some 18 x 1.8 on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-19mm...951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484fe2c507

Let us know how you fare.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Luis. I think I will order the o-rings and go from there. Simple part a such a big mess.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the outside o-ring is not the culprit, it is the inner shaft seal #20 in the image. This part is NLA, none in US, none in Germany. LaJolla said I may be able to find one in a rebuild kit for Peugot or Jaguar. I have the dimensions and have ordered something similar but have not done this yet. Let you know.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If ZF it looks like this:

BW part numbers here:

chope97

Reaction score
If ZF it looks like this:

BW part numbers here:

Thanks Chris I think I have a zf 3hp22 the dip tube is on the drivers side

mosearch

Reaction score
I am in the middle of replacing the speedo drive cable on my 1972 Bavaria...with BW-65 AT.
I just ordered this part from England:

In the meantime I did find an o-ring that fit pretty well at my local Ace Hardware....but when the replacement set arrives I'll likely use that one (assuming it fits right).

I will say it's a classic PITA trying to get the firewall boot-seal installed...very tight space for human sized hands...no leverage opportunity.

mosearch

Reaction score
Also interesting to note that Realoem / maximillian BW65 parts catalog does show the little "oil seal" as item 20 in the diagram...but there is no corresponding # 20 in the parts number table ..:(
1618626703540.png

I am hoping the one that comes will fit as expected.

O-ring19X1,8124211218739

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Chris I think I have a zf 3hp22 the dip tube is on the drivers side
BMW changed to the BW early on, be sure you have a ZF, see this FAQ first.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Be careful when removing #19 here:

speedo.jpg.d0c761590bd1e5fd306dc3eadff91f3b.jpg

That actually goes in ANOTHER seal that is only sold with #18.

drvee12

Reaction score
Updating this thread, I was unable to locate the 2 speedo seals at usual places including W&N, Moss Motors ( same as Jag XJS ). However, the Ebay link above from 2021 for the Triumph / Rover BW65 still works, and I placed an order for these, fingers crossed it might be same and work on my 74 CSA. Will let all know.
Thank you Mosearch !

drvee12

Reaction score
Follow up to above...... Upon receipt, it was obvious the outer O-ring on the Triumph kit was much larger than the one on the BMW version. But I found a proper fitting O-ring in my 500 piece o ring kit from Harbor Freight (18m x 2m) that was a tiny but thicker, and worked just fine. Now, about the internal seal that came with the kit, the ID of the seal was good, but the OD was fractionally smaller than the metal clad OEM seal. It was not a tight fit, so that was not gonna work. Long story short, I ended up stacking the new seal / old seal in the plastic sleeve, slightly shortened the steel retainer so the screw holder would line up, and it seems to have solved the leak. Not pretty, but it worked.