Automatic Transmission tune up

Discussion in 'E3 General Discussion' started by Haseeb, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Haseeb

Haseeb Active Member

Hey guys! Just wondering what do I need to service the automatic transmission for a 72' Bavaria? I believe is it Borg Warner but I'll have to check when I get back. It's feels like it slipped once or twice the last time I drove it so whatever advice you guys have I'll take

2. Sean Haas

Sean Haas Member

Yes, you replace it with a 5 speed. Ba-da-boom! I'll see myself out...couldn't help it!

Haseeb likes this.
  3. mosearch

mosearch Member

Well, I am sure Sean is right at some level...

However, I am feeling just fine about my '72 Bavaria with BW65 Auto trans...
    As soon as I could (after fixing a few more critical bits) I bought 6 gallons worth of a basic F-type ATF like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Amalie-160-6...=1528418110&sr=1-1&keywords=type+f+auto+trans

Made multiple drain and fills (about 5 quarts at a time), and toward the end of that process I replaced the filter/screen and gasket with a kit like this:
    http://xks.com/i-6920316-jaguar-filter-kit-a-t-bw-65-66-alloy-xj-6-series-ii-iii-12-0400.html

Cost not too much, took not too long, and I have put in about 3,000 miles so far with fairly smooth and totally reliable shifts. Sure, it's still a classic slush-box...and you have to drive with both feet until the engine is fully warmed up. But it works, and is kind of convenient in stop and go traffic. And I do think the 3 speed auto transmission somewhat limits your ultimate top speed...mine won't really go much past 90 mph.
    But I can accept that. And at the moment have other things demanding my attention.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Haseeb likes this.
  4. Haseeb

Haseeb Active Member

Thank you! This is the advice I really needed :), however just one more question, it seems like that filter and gasket from the jaguar website is out of stock, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Trans...org-Warner-BW65-BW66-3spd-Trans-/401435796846 do you think this one would be fine?

5. mosearch

mosearch Member

Haseeb likes this.
  6. Haseeb

Haseeb Active Member

Thank you so much ;) I'll go ahead and place an order!

7. Haseeb

Haseeb Active Member

out of curiosity, how much would something like that cost?

8. bavbob

bavbob Active Member

Amen to type F. I used Redline racing ATF whch is type F, did the multiple swap and filter change, all the slips and lurching resolved. The BW is actually a good transmission. The Jag and Rover people have no complaints.

Haseeb likes this.
  9. chope97

chope97 Member Site Donor

Haseeb I have a case of Redline Type f transmission fluid you can get from me I purchased it last year before I realized my 73 has a ZF transmission in it. The first thing you need to do is check the fluid level.

Haseeb likes this.