Baby Got Back

corsachili

Reaction score
A couple hours ago me and a couple friends pushed my beloved CSL back in to the garage here at Cowpoke Racing. She's had her aluminum decklid painstakingly straightened (some 40 hours of work went in to it alone), a couple chips fixed, and her engine bay resprayed. She's now ready to be put back together, and will hopefully be terrorizing the roads of the Santa Cruz Mountains in the very near future.

Stay tuned for more as I start reassembling.

corsachili

Reaction score
Wot? You've got time to make smart assed remarks but you can't be bothered to tell me when I can deliver your part to you?

Damn British..............maybe you should go get yourself a nice Triumph Spitfire.................or a Riley Imp. = )

PHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttt!

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Any brit car will do, as long as it has SU's and Lucas electrics!

My fave was my MGB with its 2 6 volt bastteries connected in series.. with 8 feet of cable to the starter!

S

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
BTW, You mentioned the Riley Imp...Did I ever tell you we have a 1934 Riley Kestrel in the gargae up in Seattle?

That will be our project in a bout 5 years.
after we finish the Aptos house.

S

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm doing a temporary stint in the Scions of Lucas club -- I'm babysitting Frank Haas' bugeye for the summer. It may end up being more of a foster parent gig, with adoption at the end. I've never really considered myself a LBC guy, but the thing is a kick in the pants. Definitely a good way to go slow.

corsachili

Reaction score
This may lead to a new thread in which we divulge the skeletons in our automotive and motorcycle closet.

I owned a 65 MGB for years. I rebuilt the engine once, and within 20,000 miles it was needing another. I also owned a Triumph Spitfire, a Triumph TR6, and several other cars of dubious quality. The MG did have a certain charm, but what a crude lump it was compared to anything Alfa.

Despite having owned BMWs for almost 15 years now, I'm still stunned every time I go to work on one, or rebuild an engine. I still expect to see bellmouthed bores, spun main bearings, rings with three times the specified end-gap, and heads with valves rattling around in the guides. I blame my British car experience on all of those expectations. No one ever told me that there was another way.

Granted, BMWs don't have some of the same inspired looks as a few of the cooler British cars (Jaguar E-type, Austin Healey 100/6, anything Aston Martin) but for the most part BMW never made an ugly car. Too bad the British can't say the same thing. Finally, BMWs work. They work well, they work always.

marc

Reaction score
MG

I still own a `65 Mgb Roadster that spent its first 28 years of its life in CA before being shipped back to the UK and converted to RHD. If the suns shinning and I`m in no hurry cant think of a nicer way to travel.

marc :D

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Oh dear god.. we are all peas in a pod..

My first car was a Morris Minor 1000 convertible.. Rebuilt the engine and trans (twice!). then graduated to a 67 MGB GT.. rebuilt that a few times as well...SOld it to a guy who asked if "she was sound".. I said, "of course".., of course..
Heh heh

S

brooks

Reaction score
British

I've owned a 1958 MGA for the past 10 years. I love the classic lines it has & it's a blast to drive on the curvy seaside roads here in New Hampshire. Plus it's a hell of a lot more dependable than my '72 3.0

If my wife ever made me choose between the two it would be a very difficult choice, but the 3.0 would win out by a narrow margin.

Regards.