Baikal blue... did it ever changed? how can I find the correct shade?

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was young, I only saw a handful of e9's, as importing such a car in Mexico was real difficult.... either you were a politician or a very influential guy. Anyhow, I was always in love with them, particularly of a model I almost talked my father into purchasing which was baikal blue. Now that I have my fjord blue car, I decided that I will paint it Baikal blue

I am having a problem with Baikal blue. I remember the color as a medium grayish blue, rather intense. I had my paint shop look for the code and they came up with something which resembles it but much lighter. Is it possible that it changed over time, keeping the name?

How can I find the correct shade of Baikal blue for a '74 3.0cs?

Thanks,
victor

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I do not believe the color has changed. Perhaps someone here has a color sample laying around that they could send you for matching. I am not sure I would trust the paint shop to get it right without something to compare to. A scrap of sheet metal left over from a restoration perhaps, anyone?

gwittman

Reaction score
Baikal has quite a bit of metallic in it and it can change considerably light/dark depending on the lighting conditions. Sunlight makes it very light in color and shade makes darker.

I recently had some touch up paint made in aerosol to paint a new hood torsion bracket. The color chip looked right but the final product was darker. I think they did not put enough metallic pigment in it. They offered to make it up again but it was close enough for me for something that is mostly hidden under the hood.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Nononono

I think fjiord blue is the most beautiful color BMW ever came up with. My CS is Baikal, that's how the world turned when I got it. Changing color is expensive and time consuming to do properly, are you certain you want to go through with this?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think fjiord blue is the most beautiful color BMW ever came up with. My CS is Baikal, that's how the world turned when I got it. Changing color is expensive and time consuming to do properly, are you certain you want to go through with this?

don't think you really want to get into that discussion. fjord is one of my least favorite - love baikal, atlantik, nacht for the best coupe blues. then taiga polaris + inka. maybe this should be a sticky

Henrik

Reaction score
My car has recently undergone a total restoration.
I was in doubt about what color I should have choose. Original color was Baikal. But since the car had at least 4 or 5 new colors since it left the factory I did not find the original color before I uncovered the inside of the bootlid. I thought it looked quite dark and boring, but after checking some photos online I realized that there was a difference between the old and the new baikal (I guess mostly due to new production methods and clear top coat). I decided to respray the car in Baikal and have never regretted it. It's very crisp and sparkling (more metallic than the old). Especially good looking in the sun!

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score

Well... Fjord blue with navy interior would look fantastic but in my case the car has a veige interior, and I really do not like the combo much.

I am aware that changing colors is a big task. I have restored a few cars and colors and options, as long as original, is something I like to do to my liking, thinking how would I have ordered the car myself when it was new.

So, yes, I think I will go Baikal, as long as I can find a good sample. What I found now is too light, perhaps between Baikal and Fjord.

Thanks,
Victor

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, guys... any ideas as how to find a correct baikal blue sample? The one I found at my paint dealer's computer and he made up for me is too light. Did Baikal ever changed to a lighter color and kept the same name?

Thanks,
victor

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
3.0cs - where are you located. i saw a baikal csi recently that i thought was spot on. my car was previously baikal, and the PO repainted it black.

Attachments

• baikal coupe.jpg
    baikal coupe.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,257

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Yes, I am painting mine in Baikal now. I found so many pictures that all looked different it was not funny... Did not make the chioce easy.

But it is a little like Sienna, it also looks so very different depending on light and age. Age is a big factor in this too.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an original colour sample chart with Baikal and others on it. Assuming it is still accurate. I will try to take photos with a decent camera under daylight conditions. Might take a day to post.

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for being off-line so long.... to many things in my head and little progress on the car.

Nicad: Sorry for pushing, but could you post those pics? They would be really useful.

rsporsche: I live in Querétaro, Mexico. That picture you posted is the exact color I had in mind! Is that really Baikal? thanks for posting it.

I am still puzzled and debating myself over painting the car Baikal blue or not. The sample I got from my paint shop looks a little too light for my taste in sunlight and very nice with a rich and somwhat darker aspect on shade.

Thanks,
Victor

Last edited:

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Still debating myself about the correct Baikal.

It turns out my paint supplier did a second test for me, this time using a different suppliers paint brand (RM versus PPG). The color difference is incredible. One is a bit too light for my taste... the other is gorgeous, with a slightly 'tinted' appearance, but probably appears to be a bit brigher that what I have seen so far but much closer to what I remember as Baikal when I was a youngster.

I am amazed that there is so much difference among them, but I may go for this second sample if I can't find any better reference. Has anybody else found so much of a difference when using one Brand or another? Can anybody reccomend a paint manufacturer on which you have seen Baikal is correct?

Thanks,
victor

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Baikal is a funny color that really looks different depending on what the light is. on a gray day, it can look kinda gray. but on a sunny day it is a rich blue w/ some metallic gray in it. the tinted appearance sounds like you are on the right track. Victor, where are you located? perhaps we collectively can help you find a real baikal coupe, e3 or 2002 to compare to.

3.0CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
@ rsporsche: Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I have seen so many different shades in internet pics that are labeled as Baikal blue, that I truly believe the color looks a lot different from sunshine to interior, and perhaps also the paint company issue that I pointed out. I live in Querétaro,Mexico. Not many old BMW's here and even less back then as importing such a car was out of reach for most people. When I was around 15 I would have killed for an E9 as I considered it the most beautiful coupe on wheels. There was a guy at our country club that had two! Baikal and Sahara Beige. Around 1980, I talked him into selling one, the Baikal blue one, which I found absolutely stunning, and then talked my father into getting it. When we got to his home, money in hand, the guy backed out of the deal!

@ deQuincey: Ok, granted, it may sound a little dumb on my part, ;-), but believe me the samples I got are completely different one from the other, and the paint shop here swears they used the exact same formulation but using different brands of paint, RM and PPG.

@ johanaxelson: I just searched for your post and I am happy to see that the pic you place first, the 'teaser' pic that I am including here again, looks exactly like what I got as a sample here today. If this is the correct Baikal, I am deffinately going to paint it this way, thanks!

Attachments

• Baikal blue.... johanaxelson.jpg
    Baikal blue.... johanaxelson.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 557