BaT 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 3.5L 5-Speed - NMNA

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A sunroof CSi, a rare bird. Looks like a nice one. $39K in 2009 was all the money for any non-CSL coupe, and then some. Quick question for the cognoscenti - there's a B34 3.5 in this car now, and according to my research that gains a whopping 15 horsepower with a Euro B35 - a bit more torque as well. My question is does a 3.5 really make that big a difference in the drivability over a standard (200hp) CSi setup? So much to do a full engine swap? Not meaning to hijack the thread, but seemed a good place to ask. NOTE: In reading the listing further it seems that there's a performance cam (no degree info) and domed pistons, so possibly more than the usual 15 hp increase. Anyways, I still am interested in what would be the most desirable (non Motorsport) engine upgrade over the standard CSi setup.

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyways, I still am interested in what would be the most desirable (non Motorsport) engine upgrade over the standard CSi setup.

1. M90
2. Euro M30B34 (high CR)
3. M30B35

Those are considered upgrades from the stock 3.0CSi, but if you have a numbers matching CSi, I would absolutely not do it.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
"The engine features Bosch Motronic fuel injection with an airflow sensor relocated to the airbox to emulate the appearance of a period system..."

Clever. I may want to do that when I plop in my B35

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A sunroof CSi, a rare bird. Looks like a nice one. $39K in 2009 was all the money for any non-CSL coupe, and then some. Quick question for the cognoscenti - there's a B34 3.5 in this car now, and according to my research that gains a whopping 15 horsepower with a Euro B35 - a bit more torque as well. My question is does a 3.5 really make that big a difference in the drivability over a standard (200hp) CSi setup? So much to do a full engine swap? Not meaning to hijack the thread, but seemed a good place to ask. NOTE: In reading the listing further it seems that there's a performance cam (no degree info) and domed pistons, so possibly more than the usual 15 hp increase. Anyways, I still am interested in what would be the most desirable (non Motorsport) engine upgrade over the standard CSi setup.

Well, Stan has a B34 3.5 & the extra +15 hp can walk away from me in my stock D-Jet 200hp 3.0.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
“Stan has a B34 3.5 & the extra +15 hp”

I heard Stan had VSR1 rebuild this engine with a custom cam and pistons form Paul Burke plus head work.It probably makes closer to +230HP.

In 1983 I replaced an M30B30 with an M30B32 in an E3. The increased torque felt pretty big to me. I was young and stupid at the time, and I remember that after the swap I could do pretty good burn outs where as before I really had to get the rpm up to lay even a modest patch. So, while on paper the difference didn’t seem so big, the combination of 10% more torque, fresh vs worn, and maybe s slightly flatter torque cuve made s big difference in real world driving.

I think going from a slightly worn M30B30 to a fresh B35 would be a pretty big step up in real world performance.

Last edited:

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seeing you are from Palm Springs, I have to ask, have you heard or been to Sports Car Garage? I‘ve had work done by Jimmy and his sons on my ‘73 E9. Which has some engine mods. Fine craftsmen have been my experience.

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seeing you are from Palm Springs, I have to ask, have you heard or been to Sports Car Garage? I‘ve had work done by Jimmy and his sons on my ‘73 E9. Which has some engine mods. Fine craftsmen have been my experience.
I've not heard of them, but to be fair my coupe has been in Orange County for a while going through the restoration completion. Once I have it out here I may drop in on them. although with my AAA Premier membership I can flatbed it to Carl at La Jolla, although picking it up will be a bit of work :cool:

byron77

Reaction score
I've not heard of them, but to be fair my coupe has been in Orange County for a while going through the restoration completion. Once I have it out here I may drop in on them. although with my AAA Premier membership I can flatbed it to Carl at La Jolla, although picking it up will be a bit of work :cool:
Had to chime in, at the risk of hijacking this tread on a such a pretty car, as I'm also in Palm Springs. My car has been up & down to Carl 5-6 times over the course of the year courtesy of Hagerty. Carl did a pretty comprehensive mechanical re-fresh: rebuilt 3.3i, 5 speed & his suspension mods being the highlights. Photos below after a blast up to Idyllwild: 3 hours, +5,000ft elevation, Alpine-esque roads, much fun

Last edited:

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep. Some discussion on the BaT thread about the old listing. That's the largest gap of time I can remember between auctions for the same vehicle. Lately, it seems like cars are returning to BaT after 12 months of ownership...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not a bad return on investment from the $39k purchase in 2009.

Probably what hurt it for going more:

1) CSi - should have original engine/D-jet system
2) Rust bubbling up. e.g.:

1973_bmw_3-0csi_1599521999a8e256c20200904_113303-scaled.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Were these rust bubbles from now or when the car was FS last time?

It would really be something if a rusty E9 breaks $100k.