BAT 70 white 2800

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. Aftermarket yes, but a nicely done aftermarket sunroof.

Honestly I didn't arrive at that myself. Someone commented. I agree though that it looks well done. The switch location and the different header panel is the main reason why I was curious.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Must be. Sunroof cars didn't have the dome light there IIRC.

Where's the switch? Didn't see it.

Looks very nice though.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Must be. Sunroof cars didn't have the dome light there IIRC.

Where's the switch? Didn't see it.

Looks very nice though.

The switch is to the left of the steering column. The dome light is normally just in front of the grab handle.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm. After seeing the title of the thread and going to BAT I was disappointed that it was a coupe.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The switch is to the left of the steering column. The dome light is normally just in front of the grab handle.
My three liter Bavaria was a runner once I had all the smog removed and my wizard of a mechanic waved his magic hands over. However, by the time we ran it hard and traded it in, I prayed to the Car God the appraiser would not notice the transmission was not shifting right. And by the time I brought it in to pick up our new car I coasted into the dealer parking lot, turned it off and did the deal/deed. Buyer beware they say.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Am I the only one who can see a visible vertical line between the tail and the poorly fitting trunk lid?
D6509072-75F0-4EB2-95D0-15D80A7F1DE2.jpeg

Seth Horwitz

Reaction score
I’ll ask the question. What’s this car worth?

Markos, you’ve been active while debating that other guy on BAT, so I’m sure you’re current on the comments.
  1. Could that sunroof really be a factory manual, converted to electric? If so, can steps be taken to make it appear fully factory? (Move the dome light, move the switch, replace the headliner, etc.?)
  2. Any thoughts on rust? The pics look OK, but there’s a layer of undercoat on that car.
  3. Good eye with the trunk body work. That looks very poor.
Here’s my deal. I want to build a restomod, but need an auto transmission for medical reasons. (Bad ankle.) Likely not the one that comes in the 2800, but my wild guess is that it can’t hurt to start with an auto to swap in another auto. If I want to drop in a modded M30, again, I’m thinking that an unmolested engine compartment would be a good start. I’m planning on doing body work and paint, so don’t mind buying a car that needs it, if the price is right. (You pay for body work in the purchase price or in the body shop. It makes little difference to me at the right price.)

So, they say that you should buy the best car when starting a build. Is this car too good? I’ll probably swap the drivetrain, brakes (maybe entire subframe from a 3.0), suspension, interior, and exterior. Is this car the right one to buy at (how much?) or is the right car a rustbucket 3.0 below $20K on EBay? My thought is that the existence of most of the parts on this car is a bonus, as you can get them refinished instead of hunting down parts cars to strip and refinish.

By the way, I’m getting brain surgery on Wednesday (seriously) so the timing on this auction isn’t great. If it’s the right car, I’ll arrange to get everything handled, though.

Bottom Line: Any guesses as to the hammer price on this car? Thanks, all.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The sunroof is not original IMO. No comment on the price or the condition. Looks pretty however!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Get a PPI if you're really interested

Get a oem power sunroof header and you may just be able to make it all look oem

rswanson

Reaction score
I have owned many vintage BMWs and here are my thoughts on this:

- Can steps be taken to make it appear fully factory? (Move the dome light, move the switch, replace the headliner, etc.?)

I have seen CSLs with factory sunroofs and no light on the driver’s side. With these cars being nearly 50 years old, I try not to assume anything. The dome light header is much lighter in color and appears far newer than the other material on the roof. It’s possible that this was added later to provide lighting in the center. If you would like to change it back to the stock electric sunroof look, you could purchase a power sunroof header with a switch and swap out the dome light panel. Then you would add a light overhead to the driver’s side. There were only 403 of these e9 automatics and 415 e9 4 speeds produced in 1970. So I am sure that a change here and there was not out of the ordinary. This was far from a large scale production line.

- Any thoughts on rust? The pics look OK, but there’s a layer of undercoat on that car.

If you look at the underside photos, you can see the black spray is more of a light coating and not a heavy rubber undercoat. It looks like there are areas that were missed where you can still see white or light beige and the texture is the same as the black.

- Good eye with the trunk body work. That looks very poor.

My opinion is that the “line” that was pointed out is merely a SHADOW coming off the left corner of the trunk lid. When the photo was blown up and distorted you can see the top of the line starts narrow and becomes wider at the bottom. Also, look at the shadows underneath the car. The full sun looks like it’s almost overhead and just a bit to the right side of the car. Now look at the other photos of the rear left corner of the car. There’s no line and no shadows. I also looked at another silver 2800cs that was listed on Bat. The right rear corner shows a prevalent line due to the sunlight/shadow. You can hold a flashlight over the trunk corner if you have an e9 available and will get the same effect.

As far as price goes, you can use previous BAT sales for a reference. I think this one is nicer than the automatic one that sold for $36k (5 months ago). Two others have sold for $49.5k and $70k.

Hope this helps…

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have seen CSLs with factory sunroofs and no light on the driver’s side. With these cars being nearly 50 years old, I try not to assume anything.

Are you not assuming that the CSL’s has factory sunroofs? I agree with the sentiment but a lot of people will tell you that CSL’s were not offered with a sunroof. A golf CSL with a sunroof sold earlier
this year in Australia. It was a point of discussion.

- Good eye with the trunk body work. That looks very poor.

My opinion is that the “line” that was pointed out is merely a SHADOW coming off the left corner of the trunk lid. When the photo was blown up and distorted you can see the top of the line starts narrow and becomes wider at the bottom. Also, look at the shadows underneath the car. The full sun looks like it’s almost overhead and just a bit to the right side of the car. Now look at the other photos of the rear left corner of the car. There’s no line and no shadows. I also looked at another silver 2800cs that was listed on Bat. The right rear corner shows a prevalent line due to the sunlight/shadow. You can hold a flashlight over the trunk corner if you have an e9 available and will get the same effect.

I’m really not trying to judge, just inform buyers since they are looking at pictures on a screen. I am not a body guy or used car purchaser. With that said I have zero doubt that the corner has been worked on. In addition to the wavy tail panel, the trunk alignment and tail light fitment speak volumes. I don’t care. My car was hit in the rear and sheetmetal was replaced. The back end has nothing to it. Ideally sheetmetal is better than filler, but if it looks pretty just enjoy it and don’t obsess. You nitpick these things when you buy the car the live with the result.

AC352B79-17A3-4C84-AD93-8C0749BE3040.jpeg
3B69AFE4-65AE-4D53-9D21-7342CC085B07.jpeg

Last edited:

rswanson

Reaction score
Yes, a handful of CSLs came with factory sunroofs.

As far as your comments on the body, you state,
"I’m really not trying to judge, just inform buyers since they are looking at pictures on a keyboard. I am not a body guy or used car purchaser."

So you stated for the record that you are not an expert.

We all happen to be looking at the pictures on a keyboard. The difference is you are enlarging by 1000%, then photoshopping and then claiming you saw the Virgin Mary on the tail end of the car.

The listing states it was painted in the 90s, so it's possible the trunk lid was not adjusted properly? Maybe it did have some work, but your previous distorted photo work is very misleading.

We have to be careful with our opinions without actually seeing the car.

Just saying...

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have to be careful with our opinions without actually seeing the car.

Just saying...

I don't agree...
Why should we not speak up about worrying signs of bad body work on a car that's for sale? That will only help prospective buyers to check it more closely before actually bidding?
The rear panel and edges around the tail light is not as it left the factory, something has obviously happened there, something is not right with the trunklid as well.

Are you the seller?