BAT

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, when browsing on Bring A Trailer, why does it seem like every seller has owned his car for somewhere between six and eighteen months? Is BAT only for flippers?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is the perfect venue for flippers. It is like
the impulse isle at the checkout counter. People regularly overpay for vehicles. 10% of the commenters know WTF they are talking about. The other 90% are fanboys or trolls.

People are buying cars sight unseen based on list. It is why good quality instagram-worthy scene pics are so paramount. The buyer needs to envision themself at the next cars and coffee, and fantasize about the number of likes they will get on instagram.

I know this represents only a portion of the buyers and not all. Regardless of my disposable income I wouldn’t buy a “nice” car sight unseen. I would spend $400-$600 on a plane ticket and go kick the tires. I also research the hell out of most things that I buy, so I am biased against this kind of purchase.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is the perfect venue for flippers. It is like
the impulse isle at the checkiut
counter. People regularly overpay for vehicles. 10% of the commenters know WTF they are talking about. The other 90% are fanboys or
trolls.

People are buying cars sight unseen based on list. It is why good quality instagram-worthy scene pics are so paramount. The buyer needs to envision themself at the next cars and coffee, and fantasize about the number of likes they will get on instagram.

I know this represents only a portion of the buyers and not all. Regardless of my disposable income I wouldn’t buy a “nice” car sight unseen. I would spend $400-$600 on a plane ticket and go kick the tires. I also research the hell out of most things that I buy, so I am biased against this kind of purchase.
Markos, a fraction, well maybe more than a fraction of the population has too much money or too many credit cards, lives on the edge/impulse, and has shit for brains. Instant gratification - instant regret. We've all hit the send button when we should have hit delete or draft. Or never gone online in the first place.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
We bought almost 1800 vehicles last year by looking at photos on a monitor. Not the same, but it works for a lot of people.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
We bought almost 1800 vehicles last year by looking at photos on a monitor. Not the same, but it works for a lot of people.

High volume professionals buying heavily discounted and/or salvage cars to be parted and/or immediately resold. Yup - not the same...

I will hang onto my opinion about the magic formula for selling on BaT. As far as buyers, I suppose it comes down to risk. I have bought several low risk BMW’s sight-unseen. Everyone’s risk is different.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
. It is like the impulse isle at the checkout counter. People regularly overpay for vehicles.

Watch it, mister. I resemble that remark! But I knew better when I did it and consciously assumed the risk. Fun part of being an adult, so long as it is the exception & not a way of life. On balance, it’s worked out.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Watch it, mister. I resemble that remark! But I knew better when I did it and consciously assumed the risk. Fun part of being an adult, so long as it is the exception & not a way of life. On balance, it’s worked out.

I honestly mean no offense. You made a good purchase on a sharp looking car in a rare color. Then you dove in head first to learn a great deal about your car! Anyway the longer my comment sits up there the more I don't like it. Lots of smart folks on here with good judgement buy and sell on BaT.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I honestly mean no offense. You made a good purchase on a sharp looking car in a rare color. Then you dove in head first to learn a great deal about your car! Anyway the longer my comment sits up there the more I don't like it. Lots of smart folks on here with good judgement buy and sell on BaT.

None taken at all. Should have used an emoji.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos,

I understand your approach, and it is one I'd prefer. I did travel a few hundred miles to purchase the '74 e9 4.5 years ago.

However, I've purchased 8 'pre-owned' cars over the past 15 years via the internet without laying eyes on them directly. In each case I have communicated extensively with the owner, or someone responsible for listing the car. Some were from dealers, and some from private sellers. We usually had about a dozen or so emails and additional pictures sent, along with as much 'history' of the car as was available. I went through this with the 3.0 CS before I drove to RI to inspect it as well. One purchase was from a man I 'kind of ' knew from following his posts on a forum similar to this one for about 3 years, thus I was very aware of his outstanding character. I didn't negotiate price on any of them, just asked the seller for the lowest acceptable price, telling them I'd either say 'yes', or 'no' to that figure. Either way the interactions regarding buy/sell would end.

In all cases, I've found the cars I bought to be every bit as good, and maybe superior to what had been described and what I'd expected.

Just my experience, others may vary!!

Gary

PS: I'm not a flipper. I owned each of these cars for at least 4-5 years (one for 10) before I 'itched' for a different ride, then scratched that itch!

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I often think about who purchases the cars on BAT. I see many cars that I would love to own, and in the early days of bidding it all seems so possible. But I also see these lists generated by Hagerty, Hemmings and many other automobile sites that suggest the next "appreciating classic" Just what a guy or girl wants to read if they have always wanted that low mileage M5, the Mark 1 Mini Cooper S etc. I don't like risk, but it seems when I purchase cars or parts, I often push my own limits. Those who still have disposable income and can buy to flip, well, have fun. BAT is probably not the place I will purchase my next car, but I do keep checking. ;)