Bats at Amelia

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Amelia Island could easily be called the East Coast Pebble Beach.
We have been 3 times in the last 4 years.
Some very classy cars on a nice golf course.

Amelia is a one day show. Sunday is the Concours.
On Saturday there is a big auction put on by RM.
We usually go watch the cars go in and out of the auction building.
Fun because you get to hear them run.

I see on the schedule this year a Cars & Coffee event Saturday morning.
This is new to me as I have not seen this before.

What the schedule says:
Cars & Coffee at the Concours presented by Hea**** Classic Car Insurance
9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Over 250 classic and exotic cars from local car clubs will be displayed on the 10th and 18th fairways of the Golf Club of Amelia Island.
Free Admission

That would be an opportunity to have a big group of coupes together.
There may be something better but someone with some credentials would need to contact Amelia Island Concours people.
I heard Ray Korman was bringing a car.
Scott Hughes as well.

Here is the link to the show.
https://www.ameliaconcours.org/

Maybe Don will find out something from BMW Classic. I have seen them there before.

If I hear any more I will post here.
Gary

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You driving your coupe? I'd consider hopping on I-10 for the 8 hours to make this if we can have an e9 party.
I am hoping to. we are going with another couple who is probably coming from Kiawah, but might come from atlanta. hopefully my wife is game to riding in the coupe that long.

if you are thinking about this, you might look into places to stay. things book up quickly. you might try VRBO.com or check with the Omni hotel on amelia. the ritz is sold out.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been in touch with Scott Hughes. He vintage races his CSL and it has been invited. So he will be there. He said there really is no place to formally display our coupes, so I guess the Cars and Coffee is our only option, unless something changes.
I will be there Sunday for sure, but I can't drive up until Saturday morning, so it may be noon before I get there. Will try to make the tail end of the C and C.

Scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the C&C will work? A contact person to see how one would get their coupe in for this?

dbower

Reaction score
Important Amelia Update

I've been trying to determine if there is an opportunity for classic BMW's to participate at the Amelia Concours. As we have noted in this thread, the Sunday concours is by invitation only, of course. A special class for invited Bats, including the Calder Art Car, is included.

On Saturday, there is a Cars & Coffee. This is also restricted to vehicles that receive prior approval to participate. This will take place on a couple of fairways of the concours site. Local car clubs were contacted to promote this among members.

David Levin of the BMWCCA First Coast Chapter provided the application. I don't see a way to attach it here, so contact me at the email address below and I'll email it to you as an attachment. The C&C is limited to 300 cars and 200 have already been accepted! If you want to participate in the C&C, please complete this app and return it ASAP -- to the address noted, not to me. Cars that are accepted will receive a special sticker that will be required to gain entry for vehicles to the C&C.

[email protected]

Hope to have a good showing of E9's!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have sent in my app, if they accept riff raff such as myself I will be there. Looking forward to seeing you guys. Maybe a Sat afternoon/evening e9 beverage session if the C&C doesn't work out? Or a place we could congregate for dinner and line up the e9's?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If there are any members here that plan on attending that aren't already included in the group email for e9 activities during Amelia and would like to be included just PM me your address and I will add you.

Will be fun to meet some fellow forum members and see their rides.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I sent in an app as well. Although I doubt my car will be back together by then but I will drive my E28 M5.

I tried to arrange something at this Cars & Coffee event at Amelia but did not get anywhere.
I got help from BMWCCA but no one knew any big wigs at Amelia and the guy I tried to call never called me back.

After talking with Don B I would suggest a couple things.
If we get a group at the Cars & Coffee Saturday morning then after that the auction starts at 11 AM. Usually at the host hotel. It's fun to go watch from the outside where they drive the cars in and out. Getting a seat at the auction is just too much $$$ to waste.
Hotel space is tough to find and probably non existent on the island.
There are a group of hotels near the Jacksonville airport on Hwy 102 off Interstate 95. There are also many restaurants there as well. We have always stayed in this area.
My suggestion would be to meet at one of those hotels or restaurants in the late afternoon and then all try to have dinner together.

It's a little over 20 miles from these hotels to Amelia. 25-30 minutes.
We've been 3 times and this is about as close as you can get to the main event unless you want to spend big bucks ($400) for a room or condo.

See what you think of this and we'll go from there.
Gary Beck
Atlanta

dbower

Reaction score
Amelia

Gary:

Sounds good to me. I think you have more experience at this event than anyone I know, so I'll count on your recommendation for where/when to get together Saturday pm. I suspect that there will be beezers at the C&C who do NOT have a car there, so they may want to join the group afterwards.

Don

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and they still have it wrong...

"Prices on the Batmobile are continuing to rise. Photo by Gooding & Company." (caption under the early carb'd car).

Well, I guess that might be a true statement... if it looks like a bat?

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140218/carnews01/140219829#ixzz2uAHVL24N
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

Last edited:

runner

Reaction score
Steve
I'm planing on going, but not driving my Nice E9 from Ohio, only because of all the terrible weather we have had. I don't trust the beginning of March! But, would love to meet up with other E9ers.
John

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Play it by ear? :)

PM me your email address and I will add you to the email group.

Steve
I'm planing on going, but not driving my Nice E9 from Ohio, only because of all the terrible weather we have had. I don't trust the beginning of March! But, would love to meet up with other E9ers.
John