Battery Location Decision

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So I've got a poorly done Battery relocation in the trunk and a missing battery tray in the engine bay. I'm considering moving the battery back to the original home but would need to source a tray and mounting hardware that is seemingly NLA on the market. Anybody have parts or ideas for engine mount?

Secondly,
Keeping it in the trunk still requires some attention to improve the safety. I'm thinking catastrophic fuse and a more secure method to tie down. I've seen a few posts here involving a very elaborate shock tower brace that also doubles as a battery holder but I'm thinking that may be further than I'd like to take it. Anyone have ideas towards a simpler tie town?
Many thanks in advance, lots of fun to think through these steps...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think the tray design is anything special. Kinda looks similar to the one I just replaced in our 67 mustang.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Thomas -- You could make a crude tie down using nylon webbing with plastic clips to allow you to change the battery bolted through the floor piece if you are willing to drill holes in the trim panel above the differential.

As to the catastrophic fuse, it would not be complicated to incorporate a fusible link into the positive cable from the battery, somewhat like what BMW did in both my e34 and e39.

Lastly, consider whether your battery needs to be vented to the outside.