Bavaria $42K

CSBM5

Reaction score
Guessing that isn't original paint everywhere given some overspray areas (I know some of that can be common from factory). It's definitely not "thought of as the most original example" as I can already deduct points in a number of places such as the overflow tank, radio unit, and those nasty aftermarket gauges. I was expecting a miracle undercarriage after their teaser about it, and it doesn't come close to their billing. The front frame rails are of course damaged from decades of improper jacking and appear to have some rust areas. In addition there are issues elsewhere that need much closer inspection. This is anything but a Hagerty condition 1 car which it is priced as...not even close (i.e. it's nowhere near the "best in the world" condition). Granted, it's a *very* nice Bavaria, no doubt, but it's being over-billed imo and way over priced.

jmackro

Reaction score
I can already deduct points in a number of places such as the overflow tank, radio unit, and those nasty aftermarket gauges. /QUOTE]

How about that voltage regulator:

1034_p43_l.jpg

Gets some bonus points though for the under-engine tray:

1034_p55_l.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IIRC The Bavaria was a US only version. I thought it came fully loaded?

The Bavaria was Hoffman’s creation to reduce the list price which for a 2800 was more than a Cadillac. The 2.8 Bav was followed by the 3.0 Bav, then 3.0S and finally the the Si. The 2800 had leather which was switched to vinyl in the Bavs and they still had manual windows. Later Bavs had options like leather and electric windows.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Bavaria was Hoffman’s creation to reduce the list price which for a 2800 was more than a Cadillac. The 2.8 Bav was followed by the 3.0 Bav, then 3.0S and finally the the Si. The 2800 had leather which was switched to vinyl in the Bavs and they still had manual windows. Later Bavs had options like leather and electric windows.
I think I have seen window stickers topping $16,000 for a loaded 3.0si. Please correct if that number is too inflated.

CSBM5

Reaction score
jmackro said:
How about that voltage regulator:

Ew, yeah, that's ugly.

Just noticed that the drain hose from the cowl area on the driver's side is missing....just a hole there. Given these few things we've already picked on with a cursory glance, there's probably a lot more to be found.

Agree on the underbody panel. Very rare to see that still with the car.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ew, yeah, that's ugly.

Just noticed that the drain hose from the cowl area on the driver's side is missing....just a hole there. Given these few things we've already picked on with a cursory glance, there's probably a lot more to be found.

Agree on the underbody panel. Very rare to see that still with the car.
Tools missing, tool box has the usual cracks. The underbody panel, I assume you mean the "cardboard" panel screwed to the nose, is readily available from BMW for about $225. I bought one for my coupe a while back and treated it with something or other as an oil leak will degrade the piece. Most were tossed after the first or second oil change and never missed.

About a year or so ago a light tan for lack of a better more accurate word, 2800 sedan went for a little less than $30. It was in far better original condition, a true time capsule.

CSBM5

Reaction score
So there we go...sold for $29k; as many here felt, it wasn't anywhere near a $42k car. Does that $29k value include the buyers premium?

albatcha

Reaction score
The auction that sold for $29k was before the ebay listing, it seems to be an attempt at a quick flip being made by the goodingco auction winner.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Last Detail did some work on my car, they are a good shop. Looks like they sold the car, but not sure what the sale price was.