BBS wheel size

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking for a decent set of staggered BBS RS 16" wheels. The 005/006 combo seems to be ideal, but came across a set that is 8x16 et8 & 9x16 et20 with 225/50/16 tires. Fenders already rolled and anticipate lowering to usual spec sometime soon.

Fit or no fit. That is the question.

Searched here and elsewhere but saw no info on this particular setup.

Interested if anyone has a good 005/006 set available instead.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
will stick out 3 mm (0.1'') farther than the ideal ( 16x8 ET 11) front setup.

May get a hair tiny rub if your car is lowered.

Or, just get 205-55-R16 tires for the front and you should be golden.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm surprised that 16x8 ET11 is considered ideal up front. Seems like this would also be rather close to a rolled front fender.

Anyone actually run such a set-up?

Which setup? There are plenty of people running RS005's, which are 16x7 ET11, and RS006's, which are 16x8 ET24.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A 16x8 (or any 8" wide wheel) with a 5" backspace will work with 205 wide tires.

ET 8 has a backspace of 4.8". So you may get some fender rubbing.

Are you lowered?

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm surprised that 16x8 ET11 is considered ideal up front. Seems like this would also be rather close to a rolled front fender.

Which setup? There are plenty of people running RS005's, which are 16x7 ET11, and RS006's, which are 16x8 ET24.

Was referring to the original question on the 16x8, 16x9 setup. The 005/006 combo seems to be the default.

((A 16x8 (or any 8" wide wheel) with a 5" backspace will work with 205 wide tires.

ET 8 has a backspace of 4.8". So you may get some fender rubbing.

Are you lowered?))

Not lowered yet, but planning on it. Just don't see many mentions of this sort of set in use on a coupe, so trying to avoid issues.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not lowered yet, but planning on it. Just don't see many mentions of this sort of set in use on a coupe, so trying to avoid issues.

If you want to avoid issues stick with a 7” ET11 up front. There is a lot of wiggle room in the rear. You could do a 9.5” wheel if you were so inclined. I believe that @BarryG has 10” rear wheels, with negative rear camber and some poke.

It is tough to fit a 16x8” wheel up front and not rub. You are better off keeping the wheel closer towards the strut and adding an aluminum spacer to clear it. An 8” ET11 wheel is the same as a 7” ET11 wheel with .5” more aluminum on each side. The CSL ran 14x7 ET11 with no fender rolling and no rubbing. In theory, a tire on a 16x7” ET11 should not rub the fender, but some folks like @adawil2002 and a few others have experienced issues. Rolling the fenders cures this. That gains you .5” of tire clearance. That happens to be exactly the difference between a 16x7 ET11 and a 16x8 ET11. So now you have an 8” wheel very close to the fender.

You can play with your lip and barrel sizes. Used barrels and new lips (or polished used). Keep in mind that new parts come in .5” increments. Original BBS lips and barrels were more precise, and the lug pad had varying thicknesses depending on the face.

I’m running a 17x8 ET20 with a 3mm spacer to clear the strut. The strut is further away from the wheel on a 17” due to the installation angle. The spacer makes the fender side equivalent to an ET17. The wheel is very close to the unrolled fender. I think that .5” of clearance via fender rolling is a tad optimistic.

Take a look at your wheels. Note the width and offset. Check your strut spacing. Check your fender
clearance. You can get a good indication of proper fitment then research that size from there.

Take a look here:
http://bbsrs.net/all/

Last edited:

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
I had a set of RS wheels made for the e3 in the same dimensions as my set of Alpinas. They're 16x7 - ET 11 up front and 16x8 ET 24 in the rear. Tire sizes are 205/55 and 225/50. The rear is lowered +/- 1" and the front +/- 1.5" with adjustable struts. Other than being careful at steep driveway approaches with near full lock, I have no clearance issues.

Addendum...The wheels were made up by Paul Ehrlich. I was very pleased with the entire process and the final product. He's a perfectionist.

Cheers,
Jim

IMG_7157-XL.jpg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jim, i have a question on the engine bay in your other post - who's aluminum radiator are you using?

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Great info.

Tried one of the fitting links from the Ehrlich site and got a visual of the difference of the 8x16 et 8 225/50/16 vs. 7x16 et11. 205/45/16.upload_2019-4-3_10-31-10.png

Decisions.

Will try to make the May '02 show to check out Barry's car.

Cheers

upload_2019-4-3_10-31-10.png