Best Sandblaster/tool for the E3?

Haseeb

Reaction score
As I am sure most of you know from my posts that there is some rust on my car (underneath and on the body) and I am trying to figure out a way to deal with it. Now would it be better to get an angle grinder and just grid out the rust form all these surfaces? Or do I need tool that would cut straight through the metal? Or should I look for a good sand/media blaster? And if so, where can I find an affordable blaster or angle grinder (-: (I'm checking craigslist as we speak too). Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4838.JPG
    IMG_4838.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4837.JPG
    IMG_4837.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Before you venture into all this you have to plan the whole shebang so

1) I bought a 4inch angle grinder from Home Depot years ago , Makita I think. Have beat it to death and works great still. Not expensive either. Smaller= get it into tighter spaces
2) Source for sheet metal?
3) MIG welder.........read tons flux vs gas, Lincoln vs Miller, 120 vs 220amps. How to weld videos etc

WRT sandblasting. I have limited experience but to do yourself, OMG what a mess. I use it in spaces I cannot get the angle grinder into. Mask off everything, the media goes everywhere. You need a compressor and not some small Harbor Freight thing. Then read about diff media.

Basically trying to convey this road you want to go on is long, somewhat costly and has a huge learning curve.

BTW: expect an ER visit or two. Very few benefits left being a doc these days but being my own ER is priceless.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
honestly, for just starting out, go to harbor freight and buy yourself a $7 angle grinder, a cup shaped wire brush, and a stack of cutoff wheels and flap disks. (about $20 for everything) ask at the cashier if they have a coupon, they always do.
by the time I burn out the carbon brushes on my HF grinder, I just throw it away and buy another. lol
the carbon brushes are replaceable but for $7, they are also disposable

Haseeb

Reaction score
Before you venture into all this you have to plan the whole shebang so

1) I bought a 4inch angle grinder from Home Depot years ago , Makita I think. Have beat it to death and works great still. Not expensive either. Smaller= get it into tighter spaces
2) Source for sheet metal?
3) MIG welder.........read tons flux vs gas, Lincoln vs Miller, 120 vs 220amps. How to weld videos etc

WRT sandblasting. I have limited experience but to do yourself, OMG what a mess. I use it in spaces I cannot get the angle grinder into. Mask off everything, the media goes everywhere. You need a compressor and not some small Harbor Freight thing. Then read about diff media.

Basically trying to convey this road you want to go on is long, somewhat costly and has a huge learning curve.

BTW: expect an ER visit or two. Very few benefits left being a doc these days but being my own ER is priceless.
Wait you're a doctor? That's so cool!

Haseeb

Reaction score
honestly, for just starting out, go to harbor freight and buy yourself a $7 angle grinder, a cup shaped wire brush, and a stack of cutoff wheels and flap disks. (about $20 for everything) ask at the cashier if they have a coupon, they always do.
by the time I burn out the carbon brushes on my HF grinder, I just throw it away and buy another. lol
That's a pretty good price! I think I'll try that :D

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will just say working on my BMW's has helped me problem solve in medicine more than the other way around. Also, mankind is a lot more forgiving than a BMW.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will just say working on my BMW's has helped me problem solve in medicine more than the other way around. Also, mankind is a lot more forgiving than a BMW.

The superglue in my toolbox isn't for my car or tools. ;)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Smart man. The med version is the same but 20X the cost. Sterility? Show me bacteria that can grow in any superglue. The world has been taught to think they should all be the bubbleboy from Seinfeld. Sorry for climbing on the soapbox.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

You got everything right except he needs to buy three grinders. One with a cutoff wheel, one with a grinder, and one with a flap disk. Don't waste time changing the disks.