Better with or without chrome wheel arch flares?

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am currently going through my CSi (inside and out) replacing tarnished and rusty screws with shiny new stainless steel fasteners. While one of the chrome (or is it polished stainless?) 'CSL' wheel arch flares was removed, I stepped back and looked at the car without its wheel arch trim for the first time, and must say I was torn whether to replace it!

On the one hand, I sometimes think the chrome trim is a bit blingy, and perhaps a bit 'CSL wannabe', but on the other hand, I'm sure my CSi does wish it was a CSL...and so do I. Honestly, I am only a few pints of Guinness and a CSL googling session away from ordering a pair of those CSL fins for the top of my front wings!

But seriously, I am thinking of removing the chrome wheel arch trim. Anyone have advice or opinions on this?

Cheers!
Dan

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Per German TUV regulations that began during the early 1970’s, no part of the tire or wheel ought to protrude beyond the fender. With the introduction of the CSL and the fitment of the 7x14” rims and the “fat” 195/70 tires to widen the e9’s track, BMW had no other choice than to fit in the super wide chromed arches to shield the tires/wheels within the fenders. BMW gave the same add on wheel arches on the later Euro only M635CSi.

My coupe came with the factory CSL arches when I bought it and I really don’t mind the look. On the other hand, I would have not considered installing chromed arches if the coupe had not came with them.

QUOTE="scottevest, post: 214707, member: 26399"]Is that an option? I would love to do that. Any images that you know of?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

These were the painted plastic arches that were factory fitted to the M635CSi coupes. As fat tires/rims were fitted to the CSLs, the 6 series M’s were also fitted with the “super fat” Michelin 240/45/415 TRX tire/rims system. Laughable now, but back in the mid 80’s, the TRX 240 tires were the biggest available, fitted to the M635s and certain Ferraris.
D0E1A119-1A90-401B-BD0B-2DA479EAA7B2.jpeg
04B5A51F-C6F5-4869-8A2F-EB0B842E41DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Philippe db

Reaction score
I also would go for the "clean" no arches look. Also safes you from wondering if everything is still OK under the arches. I also would never by an E9 with such arches without having the opportunity to look at what is living underneath them.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe Zaprace in the UK has them in fiberglass, extended arches, but only made on order.
And yes, I prefer the cleaner look too.

scottd

Reaction score
chrome trim is a bit blingy, and perhaps a bit 'CSL wannabe',

I agree with your assessment. No chrome.

Scott

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know some one who would love to have the arches (if they are the original type) so if you decide to part with them, I’d be happy to connect you guys.

Thanks for the input guys, it looks like we are all agreed! If the other arches look as clean beneath the bling as the front right trim that I removed, they'll be coming off today!

Cheers!
Dan

View attachment 40114