Bilsteins don't fit

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bilstein HD inserts, #34-000243, don't fit my '74 CS coupe. NOt only will they not fully insert into the strut, the threaded collar ring is too big. Given their apparent wide-spread use,WTF? Anybody had these problems? Maybe I have struts from an E3 or E12 or something. At this point I think I'll have no choice but to replace the KYBs I pulled out. Help.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I has this problem. One of my struts was from another model and required a different ring which didnt fit the bilsteins. I had to source a correct strut from Double 02 salvage. Check the number on the struts and i will search for my old thread later

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can get the proper size gland nuts from Bilstein, they only come in two sizes. Very common as struts get swapped.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The right strut is 9386 R 53, the left side is 385L02 3. Both tubes are 51 mm OD. Are these correct? Looks like this is going to take a while to get done..I know the car was in a accident and the left front side was damaged...I discovered this when I converted to Euro bumpers last year...who knows what's in my car now?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From an early Bilstein catalog:

Front P36-0024 HD, P36-0247 Sport (M50x1.5 threads)

It notes if later strut is used, replace with P36-0224 (M48x1.5 threads)

Rear B46-0813 HD and Sport