BMW 3.0CS 3D Model

posix

Reaction score
i have been thinking so hard on what color exterior and interior the car should be. Keeps me up at night sometimes because I can't decide... The foremost reason is because I haven't seen most of the color options in person. I've only seen Chris's Malaga CSI, a nachtblau cs sitting in a garage and my polaris cs. Although polaris has been growing on me, I've wanting to explore other color options of both exterior paint color and interior leather and carpet. Currently, the decision is to go the direction Mike went with Natchblau exterior + Dark oxblood red interior, but I have not 100% made up my mind yet.

At work, I've been working with a couple of 3rd party vendors for CGI and 3d animation needs like INK and mackevision so I decided to begin a project to basically make a vehicle configurator for the 3.0cs. Starting off with a 3D model and will be going from here. I think material and lighting will be the hardest parts. I'll need to look to you forum members to give feedback since I'm just going off images I find online and a CSL blueprint.

The end product I'm wanting is to have a web experience where users can pick exterior colors, interior colors, wheels, ride height, air dams, etc etc. It will be a long process, the plan is to iteratively work on it and release as I go. Aiming to have the exterior completed maybe by end of next week or so.

Here's some of my initial progress.
Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 5.38.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 5.38.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 5.38.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 5.38.31 PM.png

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
should be pretty cool when its done. now that the basic car is done, getting the wheels done will be the next challenge, with the basic options after stock (alpina 14" / 16", bbs rs 16" / 17", and others)

posix

Reaction score
should be pretty cool when its done. now that the basic car is done, getting the wheels done will be the next challenge, with the basic options after stock (alpina 14" / 16", bbs rs 16" / 17", and others)
indeed. wheels are going to be difficult and the ride height variances between the different wheel sizes as well...

interior is going to be difficult as well

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ask owners to do profile photos of their cars with the wheels in @rsporsche's wheel FAQ.

That will be an amazing resource like the TireRack configurator years ago.

tightbox

Reaction score
As a manager of a large digital design team, I always hesitate to comment on a WIP -- but isn't the character line/crease in the door and front/rear fenders (below the belt line) missing, or is it just not added yet? Easy to miss in pictures without great lighting, but a crucial element if we're planning to use this for subtle color hue changes with accurate directional lighting models.

Cool start - I'm excited to see this come to fruition!

posix

Reaction score
That's awesome. Can you use that to create a file for 3D printing body panels?
That would be cool.
Could be interesting! Would need to be really accurate though in terms of dimensions. Not sure if I’ll be able to to make 1:1.

would also be pretty expensive to print the larger panels like the fenders and quarter panels

Last edited:

posix

Reaction score
As a manager of a large digital design team, I always hesitate to comment on a WIP -- but isn't the character line/crease in the door and front/rear fenders (below the belt line) missing, or is it just not added yet? Easy to miss in pictures without great lighting, but a crucial element if we're planning to use this for subtle color hue changes with accurate directional lighting models.

Cool start - I'm excited to see this come to fruition!
Good point! I forgot about it. Will add :)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do the front hood and fenders slope down that much? Perhaps an optical illusion with drawings.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't tell, but it almost looks like there is a cross-pollination of the front valence chin and a front bumper. The model is following the front bumper lines, but then it is too far back (inset). Here's a not-that-great quick pic of the valence chin with slots.
20200806-ready for dolly.jpg

posix

Reaction score
Do the front hood and fenders slope down that much? Perhaps an optical illusion with drawings.

I think it looks exaggerated when the beltline trim is off.

i'm following this vector drawing and i'm pretty sure it's 1:1 at the moment with this but i can double check. I'm gonna add the belt trim on as well and we can re-evaluate :D

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.11.18 AM.png

posix

Reaction score
I can't tell, but it almost looks like there is a cross-pollination of the front valence chin and a front bumper. The model is following the front bumper lines, but then it is too far back (inset). Here's a not-that-great quick pic of the valence chin with slots.
View attachment 101366

the model is based off of a vector drawing (above) that has the valence chin but not the bumpers.

are you saying the bumper is too close to the body?

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would argue that the blue illustrative diagram is not 100% accurate. And you may want to take a look at the valence trim you'd modeled compared to this blue illustration - there is no drop in the center. Keep up the great work!

posix

Reaction score
I would argue that the blue illustrative diagram is not 100% accurate. And you may want to take a look at the valence trim you'd modeled compared to this blue illustration - there is no drop in the center. Keep up the great work!

I would agree that the illustration isn't the most accurate, but unfortunately it was the best i could find haha. hoping with the help of people like yourself, i'll be able to come up with a better one :D

thanks for the input!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you almost need a scanning tunnel - like a MRI where it takes imaging sections that build the 3d form. think about what you could really do that - make accurate replacement body panels. of course, the equipment would be an expensive setup cost.