BMW 3.5 CSL-Style Race Car (NMNA)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

It’s not a CSL style racecar. It is a CSL racecar built on a real BMW Motorsport chassis. I remember reading about Henry’s spare chassis. BMWRockerman has chimed in about the provenance. and he (Bill) maintained his other race cars.

It’s still not the same as a period motorsport
car, but it is far more special than a CSL turned racecar, or a run of the mill CS tribute car.

I’m a little confused about the M49 with an S38 head. Seems like it is advertised as bonus but it doesn’t sit with me that way. The Schnitzer slide throttle is a thing of beauty though!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So what are your guys thoughts on this car? I totally agree with Markos assessment but there are some shady things going on I think. The M49/3 for instance isn't a real one, but kind of a retrofitted one, then the whole VIN thing?

I mean, if no VIN was ever assigned, where did they get this VIN, just welded a VIN from a CSA or something on there? I tried looking it up and nothing to be found. It looks like a killer build don't get me wrong, beautiful car, but if they think they are going to get the big bucks wouldn't all that need to be documented a little more? I bet a RNM is in the future...It would be cool to see it racing though for sure...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So what are your guys thoughts on this car? I totally agree with Markos assessment but there are some shady things going on I think. The M49/3 for instance isn't a real one, but kind of a retrofitted one, then the whole VIN thing?

I mean, if no VIN was ever assigned, where did they get this VIN, just welded a VIN from a CSA or something on there? I tried looking it up and nothing to be found. It looks like a killer build don't get me wrong, beautiful car, but if they think they are going to get the big bucks wouldn't all that need to be documented a little more? I bet a RNM is in the future...It would be cool to see it racing though for sure...

Absolutely RNM. I have no clue on the VIN, but I know that racecar VINs are tricky business.

I think that most everyone will remain quiet out of respect for the owner and the auction. I replied and said what I needed to say on BaT. Confusing auction is confusing.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There were 21 race car shells built with VINs starting at 2276000 and going backwards to 2275980, this is one of these shells. It was common to weld the VIN plate to the inner fender as there was never a firewall for the common VIN location. It was purchased By Vasek Polak, that is enough provenance for me.

Edit: I am now rethinking my position, BMW built bodies in white and were listed as a part number in the parts book. I don’t think this is one of the 21 but I am not an expert on these things.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was curious about the welded VIN plate ... thanks for sharing this info. the provenance seemed sound along with the other race car - knowing that Vasek Polak had received them from BMW NA

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stupid question, if you own such a car, is it street legal or you have to tow it to races and drive only on racetracks?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Klassic - I think Markos was saying it is NOT a "run of the mill CS tribute car." He knows what this is. The ad is a little misleading and does have some flaws. Somebody with deep pockets won't care, they will trailer this to vintage races and have a great time with it.

Very nice build just needs a little fine tuning on the wording I think of the ad from BaT so potential buyer knows what they are bidding on here. But the people that will maybe end up with this car will know all that. But, I think because of the confusion (maybe not best word) it may go RNM, JMHO.

It probably needs to at least double from here but there are still quite a few days to go. Fun to watch for sure...

bdigel

Reaction score
@Klassic - I think Markos was saying it is NOT a "run of the mill CS tribute car." He knows what this is. The ad is a little misleading and does have some flaws. Somebody with deep pockets won't care, they will trailer this to vintage races and have a great time with it.

Very nice build just needs a little fine tuning on the wording I think of the ad from BaT so potential buyer knows what they are bidding on here. But the people that will maybe end up with this car will know all that. But, I think because of the confusion (maybe not best word) it may go RNM, JMHO.

It probably needs to at least double from here but there are still quite a few days to go. Fun to watch for sure...
200 K isn't gonna touch it , I would guess 750 plus Peter would know for certain , I wanna say some of those group 4/ 5 car have sold in the millons

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No way is it going to hit $750K. IDK, I am not in that club. But when I say, "at least double from here" sky's the limit right? Is it a million dollar car? Maybe? If you get the right people bidding at the end. I just hope whoever buys this actually races it and it doesn't sit in a warehouse or showroom with someone dusting it off every once in a while. It is "black" after all. Hardest color to keep clean, or should I say Schwarz?...LOL.

Klassic

Reaction score

To put in context "run of the mill cs" was in reference to support those who have worked thousands of hours, hundreds of evenings in their workshops building their dream. And, always in the knowledge that "its not the real thing", but never the less don't feel their creations are "run of the mill" or are having a lesser experience than those who have "real CSLs".
For many the value of an E9 comes in many ways, and not always in chassis numbers and direct history, very few can afford that.
Perhaps I'm taking an uncomfortably egalitarian position, but let me say this, after a life time of building replica/ tribute bmw race cars, and having genuine works cars as well, I have found around the pits their are two types of people. Those who choose to chat to you when you own a replica, and those who are dismissive. (Everyone has preferential attachment to those with the real deal). For those who choose to be dismissive, I think they have missed an opportunity to engage with someone who is truly passionate, knowledgeable and generally interesting, and that's unfortunate.

I get where you are coming from Markos, (no offence really taken). My "ouch" comment was to "balance the ledger" and said with a smile. Respect to you Markos for your amazing contribution to this space.

Pete is great, in that (to paraphrase) he says that "if you love your car, then I love it too".

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
To put in context "run of the mill cs" was in reference to support those who have worked thousands of hours, hundreds of evenings in their workshops building their dream. And, always in the knowledge that "its not the real thing", but never the less don't feel their creations are "run of the mill" or are having a lesser experience than those who have "real CSLs".
For many the value of an E9 comes in many ways, and not always in chassis numbers and direct history, very few can afford that.
Perhaps I'm taking an uncomfortably egalitarian position, but let me say this, after a life time of building replica/ tribute bmw race cars, and having genuine works cars as well, I have found around the pits their are two types of people. Those who choose to chat to you when you own a replica, and those who are dismissive. (Everyone has preferential attachment to those with the real deal). For those who choose to be dismissive, I think they have missed an opportunity to engage with someone who is truly passionate, knowledgeable and generally interesting, and that's unfortunate.

I get where you are coming from Markos, (no offence really taken). My "ouch" comment was to "balance the ledger" and said with a smile. Respect to you Markos for your amazing contribution to this space.

Pete is great, in that (to paraphrase) he says that "if you love your car, then I love it too".

I have nothing against tribute cars. I hope to build a carb CSL tribute car someday. My comment about CS track cars was not
intended to be derogatory.

1F3B71AC-481B-430F-8F86-CB0B9BEFB430.jpeg