BMW Archive Group email??

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday on two cars. Had a surprise. My car is titled as a 72 but was made in August of 71.
Many cars were like that back then.
The guru's, Chris and Michael said to not worry about it.
My E28 M5 was made in 87 and was advertised sold and titled as an 88.
Wish we had the Max Hoffman records to see where the cars went after he imported them.
I have some paperwork showing a doctor in Atlanta bought the car from a local imported car dealer.
So, interesting it has spent most of it's life in the South.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is this something new? What do we have to provide them and what will we get in terms of information back- I've never sent anything to these guys-

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this something new? What do we have to provide them and what will we get in terms of information back- I've never sent anything to these guys-

Send them the VIN. Let them know it is your car. It is more difficult for CSL’s or if you are a repeat inquirer.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All European manufacturers had to comply with US DOT/EPA requirements for Model Year designation. They followed the US practice of offering ‘new’ models in Aug/Sep for the following year. This made sense as we have all heard of August being the vacation month in Europe. Mercedes even followed this practice in the late 50s. As US/NA market coupes have a unique VIN range, it is easy to tell a 72 3.0CS from a 73 and 74 model. All of the US coupes had a DOT/EPA sticker to record the MY and the resulting emissions requirements, other markets did not.

When researching Gary’s 3.0CS I discovered that the first manual VIN has a May 1971 build date, likely a preproduction vehicle, the next 70 or so were built in July, another 80 or so in August, then virtually none until December 1971. All of these coupes are 1972MY. The first automatic 3.0CS wasn't built until late 1971. The one interesting fact is that since there were no 1975MY US coupes, the 74s were built up until Dec 1974. And BMWNA took over Hoffman’s distributorship in Jan 1975.