Bonhams 1973 BMW CSL 2275537

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not proud of my sarcasm here but that is a really nice Chamonix paint job on the washer pump wiring. I would really like to be in a position to afford this car......

arnie

Reaction score
that car is the ultimate immaculate driving machine for sure
doesnt get any better.
beautiful
i cant see the wiring your speaking of

Don't take me too serious, but you'll really need new glasses … :)

This care is so fu … far away from immaculate and the description from Bonhams makes me laugh, or probably better cry.

The best thing for this offer is the high resolution of the delivered pictures, that show a lot problems and real bad craftmans work were ever you look. The engine bay alone is a mess for such a valuable car.

Sry, the price estimation is just riduculous imo

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The paint sticker maybe confuses you? ;)
What impresses me are the totally transparent air intake pipes...
Arnie, read your post and went back and looked more carefully. Even I can identify at least six "problems" with the engine bay alone. Why not attach the air cleaner at least. Sloppy, careless. The silver cover over the fan motor is appalling. Is this the best Bonhams can do?

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
the pictures say to me - this car has been thrown back together to sell because someone realised that rusty shell and those boxes of bits in the corner of the garage were worth a lot of money but would sell better as a whole car.. then I read the description and it pretty much says exactly that " offered fresh from extensive recommissioning and restoration".. the person that sent that in for 'restoration' literally must have asked to spend the bare minimum to get it legal and looking ok from a distance which is a huge shame. all sorts of wrong/bad finishes, bits missing (the holes for the seatbelt clips on the rear 1/4 trims are there - but the seat belts just hang loose! painted over screws on the headlight access panels.. my personal favourite - the lower blue stripe decal where it goes from the RH wing to the RH door - it looks like they didnt even cut it between the 2 panels! WTF? I am not expert - which makes it all the worse I reckon

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure it may not be perfect, but the price guide seems reflective of this. A perfect/concours BAT would be well above €300k I would think.

Hopefully they fix some of the obvious silly flaws before sale.

If there is real documentation of “same owner since 1975” and the “57k original klm from new” can somehow be 100% verified, such pedigree is impressive (if true).

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
the pictures say to me - this car has been thrown back together to sell because someone realised that rusty shell and those boxes of bits in the corner of the garage were worth a lot of money but would sell better as a whole car.. then I read the description and it pretty much says exactly that " offered fresh from extensive recommissioning and restoration".. the person that sent that in for 'restoration' literally must have asked to spend the bare minimum to get it legal and looking ok from a distance which is a huge shame. all sorts of wrong/bad finishes, bits missing (the holes for the seatbelt clips on the rear 1/4 trims are there - but the seat belts just hang loose! painted over screws on the headlight access panels.. my personal favourite - the lower blue stripe decal where it goes from the RH wing to the RH door - it looks like they didnt even cut it between the 2 panels! WTF? I am not expert - which makes it all the worse I reckon

....and some fool put the wheel on the wrong side. Ha ! How could anyone make such a stupid mistake when putting it together. Doh!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
o_OI don’t know ! But if I was the Owner since 1975 and I wanted to sell it I wouldn’t have done anything to the car even if it had some rust issues, or other short comings that a professional should address on such a valuable car ... I think the seller wasted his money by having someone do a half-..s job and then pay him and take it to auction on the same year.....
I am puzzled !!!
The long term ownership and low miles perhaps would have been enough to grab the attention of people that are intrested for a good core CSL for a proper restoration ....