brake caliper, pad lubricant

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Where on the caliper or pin or pad do you apply your choice of brake lubricant? Where should there NOT be any lube or film? I have seen a build up of lubricant on the backside of pads, that turned hard and touched the exposed piston rubber parts. Looks like this would hasten their demise. Mike

Honolulu

Reaction score
During a caliper rebuild I put smidgen (technical term) on the piston itself, and some under the rubber seal/around the edge of the piston.

There's a different compound for the back of the pad backing plate, supposedly to keep disc brakes from squealing. I had heard the way to stop squealing is to chamfer the leading edge of the pad friction material. Some pads come with such a chamfer, many don't. This application is not for lubrication I don't thingk.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
all info is here,

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/front-axle-brakes-bearings-wheel-hub-and-rear-brakes-too.28894/

bremzylinderpaste for pistons,
09ABACB9-1D3E-4E33-8A22-719E3BD1CADB.jpeg

847378BD-8302-4F74-95A0-B0EF5BE668AD.jpeg

copper grease for pads

3AB18555-D652-4C78-88EA-978705D7A3BA.jpeg

C98B43EA-3E11-4FB1-B950-9BECF78284D9.jpeg

stphers

Reaction score
Think about this, where does the pad slide? Not only do I use hi temp copper paste on the pad backside, I also put a little on each edge of the pad as well as on the metal hold down clip ( the anti rattle clip that holds tension on the pads ) these are all places that the pad slides against. Just a little, don't get any on the pad surface. Rarely run into brake pad squeal ( this is after replacing probably over a thousand brake pads in my time ) Is this what you were asking about, not how to use lube when putting calipers together ( that is a different answer ) The copper paste does not harm the piston boots

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Think about this, where does the pad slide? Not only do I use hi temp copper paste on the pad backside, I also put a little on each edge of the pad as well as on the metal hold down clip ( the anti rattle clip that holds tension on the pads ) these are all places that the pad slides against. Just a little, don't get any on the pad surface. Rarely run into brake pad squeal ( this is after replacing probably over a thousand brake pads in my time ) Is this what you were asking about, not how to use lube when putting calipers together ( that is a different answer ) The copper paste does not harm the piston boots
That is helpful Rick. Yes, I was wondering about the edges too. I took my pads out yesterday and found the lube on the backside had turned to a hard paste. So I looked at when I did these last and it was 2008! Time flies ;)