Brakes

piezopaul

Reaction score
Took my csl in because the brakes are pulling after a recent left coast brake job before the car was shipped to me. My repair guy (Motorsport connections, Winston salem) says the pistons are old, and binding causing the car to pull. Hense replacement brakes are in order. The car is puting out about 300 hp and he recommends an upgrade. What do you, my esteemed peers recommend? THANKS!

x_atlas0

Reaction score
You could rebuild the calipers without too much difficulty, or get a BBK from somewhere, like Ireland Engineering.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Were the brake hoses replaced? One of the leading causes of e9 brake pulling is old, deteriorated brake hoses that have internal restrictions.

And why you'd drop $1500 or more on a BBK for a stock CSL is beyond comprehension. If you have that much extra money, please send it to my paypal account immediately.

EDIT: I missed the 300hp part. But you can still send me the money... 8)

shanon

Reaction score
We have found that stock rebuilt calipers with SS lines, upgraded (Carbotech) pads, slotted rotors (drilled not as durable) and some high temp fluid has been all that's needed. My brother's racing CS has similar power and we outbrake just about everything out there except those pesky 911s......and they feel awesome. I've heard mixed reviews about BBK conversions, different pedal feels and not always the nice bolt-on conversion anticipated...but they sure look nice! The SS lines might be all ya need to do. Give CarboTech a call and they will suggest a proper compound/pad for your needs.

my humble 2 cents......
-shanon

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I still run stock brakes, with metalmaster pads and the teflon/steel-braided lines. Blue ATE fluid when all the seals are new, otherwise just clean and stock (apart from those pesky lines) The vented disks for the Ls are just fine, 300HP? what are you guys running that produces that really? A twin cam?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi piezopaul,
I have a similar engine output and bought the BBK from Ireland and if I was you, I would go another route since the 'after sale' and troubleshooting support from Ireland leaves much to be desired, infact not much help at all. Shannon is probably right, upgrade the stock brakes or spend money on a 'professionally (tested and proven to work)' brakes system.
Keshav

piezopaul

Reaction score
Thanks, all. That's helpful. The 300 HP is not rated by my having the car dynoed but "as advertised" when I got it. It's running a 3.5l long block with upgraded cam, headers, 3x45 webers, lightened flywheel. It makes great noise but to me feels like something a little less than 300 hp.-Paul

Bill Cutler

Reaction score
Porterfield make a great Carbon - Kevlar pad in 3 different compounds which is kind on discs/rotors and will give you all the retardation that you need. Remember, it's not the power you've got which determines the brakes you need, it's the speed at the end of the staight, and how late you brake.............