BX4 Budget Bavaria Barnfind Build: Off the road for 41 years, back from the dead

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Alright boys, official build thread for my latest impulse purchase, a Malaga 72 Bavaria 4spd. I don't know much about these cars, I've never driven one, but I did have a 71 Malaga 2002 (Click here), had a lot of fun, learned some things, made some money on it. I typically document my builds on youtube, so here's the first video of the series:

TLDW, car is solid and complete, interior is nice(ish), exterior is shot, trim is all there, no major damage other than 2 small holes in front footwells, lower door skins, and spare tire trunk area. Oh yeah, front valance is smashed, hood and grill are smushed, and both front and rear bumpers are tweaked.

Mechanically, car is all there, hasn't been touched with the exception of an electric fuel pump on the firewall, but nothing works. Brakes don't do anything, tried bleeding them, can't get any fluid to come out of the calipers, guessing all the lines are clogged. Clutch pedal doesn't feel connected to anything/dry/full of air, so no idea on that, e-brake worked once but then froze up and still drags, and upon pulling the plugs, hoping I could revive the engine, I was bummed to find corrosion on spark plug #3. Confirmed my worst fears with an endoscope, cyl #3 is full of coolant, and has probably been that way for 40+ years. Super bummed.... however....

M30B35?

I happened to find an M30B35 w ECU + Harness for sale about an hour from my house, and offered $400. Seller said sure. What do I know about it? Said it was serviced regularly, headgasket was new, and then car (91 535i) was crashed, but still drove. Drove it to their shop, parted out the car, have the engine left over.

Tomorrow, I am headed north to inspect this engine. The bummer is, the trans has already been sold, so no starter available to check compression. This really limits my ability to check this thing out. So far, here is my plan:

1. Exterior inspection, look for damage from crash, if the pulley shows anything I'm going to bail because the crank could be junk.
2. Open valve cover filler, look at valvetrain, hoping to not see black/gunk/varnish. Hoping to see clean.
3. Drain oil, look for metal flakes.
4. Pull plugs, hopefully all the same color this time (blackish w light tan)
5. Throw the scope in each spark plug hole, and check piston walls for major damage.

Anyone else have any other ideas? Not too concerned with keeping this car bone stock, since it's so far gone, I'm sure I'll be doing creative shortcuts to bring it back to life. Also been absorbing B35 swap info like a sponge, sounds like I can either keep motronic, or if I want to do carbs, I need to swap my cam from my old engine since that has a distributor drive gear, or buy a Schrick cam with a dizzie gear. Also, since this isn't an early B35, it will need an adaptor on one side, I think Ireland makes them?

Might be a while for another video update, I shoved the car into storage and I'm focusing on bringing a 73 Jaguar XJ6 back to life, drive it a bit, then sell it to fund this project. XJ6 is pretty cool too, has a manual swap and triple SUs, cali car, show it in the end of the last video.

Cheers dudes, thanks for all the help so far! Oh, and if anyone sees a front windshield and weatherstripping for sale, PM me!

Reactions: Ezz

Mike Goble

Reaction score
You don't need to change the cam to run carbs, just use a cam adapter nut to run the distributor drive. It's a lot cheaper.
From an earlier post:

"camshaft adapter nut 11311284801 - it allows you to run your original distributor drive with a newer cam such as the one in a B35.
#18 in the drawing...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
You can make the motor mount adapter from a 11" piece of 1/4" x 3" bar stock, much less expensive than buying one.

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Awesome information on both, I'm not sure if I'm going to run carbs or motronic yet but good to have options. Thanks!

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alright boys, official build thread for my latest impulse purchase, a Malaga 72 Bavaria 4spd. I don't know much about these cars, I've never driven one, but I did have a 71 Malaga 2002 (Click here), had a lot of fun, learned some things, made some money on it. I typically document my builds on youtube, so here's the first video of the series:

TLDW, car is solid and complete, interior is nice(ish), exterior is shot, trim is all there, no major damage other than 2 small holes in front footwells, lower door skins, and spare tire trunk area. Oh yeah, front valance is smashed, hood and grill are smushed, and both front and rear bumpers are tweaked.

Mechanically, car is all there, hasn't been touched with the exception of an electric fuel pump on the firewall, but nothing works. Brakes don't do anything, tried bleeding them, can't get any fluid to come out of the calipers, guessing all the lines are clogged. Clutch pedal doesn't feel connected to anything/dry/full of air, so no idea on that, e-brake worked once but then froze up and still drags, and upon pulling the plugs, hoping I could revive the engine, I was bummed to find corrosion on spark plug #3. Confirmed my worst fears with an endoscope, cyl #3 is full of coolant, and has probably been that way for 40+ years. Super bummed.... however....

M30B35?

I happened to find an M30B35 w ECU + Harness for sale about an hour from my house, and offered $400. Seller said sure. What do I know about it? Said it was serviced regularly, headgasket was new, and then car (91 535i) was crashed, but still drove. Drove it to their shop, parted out the car, have the engine left over.

Tomorrow, I am headed north to inspect this engine. The bummer is, the trans has already been sold, so no starter available to check compression. This really limits my ability to check this thing out. So far, here is my plan:

1. Exterior inspection, look for damage from crash, if the pulley shows anything I'm going to bail because the crank could be junk.
2. Open valve cover filler, look at valvetrain, hoping to not see black/gunk/varnish. Hoping to see clean.
3. Drain oil, look for metal flakes.
4. Pull plugs, hopefully all the same color this time (blackish w light tan)
5. Throw the scope in each spark plug hole, and check piston walls for major damage.

Anyone else have any other ideas? Not too concerned with keeping this car bone stock, since it's so far gone, I'm sure I'll be doing creative shortcuts to bring it back to life. Also been absorbing B35 swap info like a sponge, sounds like I can either keep motronic, or if I want to do carbs, I need to swap my cam from my old engine since that has a distributor drive gear, or buy a Schrick cam with a dizzie gear. Also, since this isn't an early B35, it will need an adaptor on one side, I think Ireland makes them?

Might be a while for another video update, I shoved the car into storage and I'm focusing on bringing a 73 Jaguar XJ6 back to life, drive it a bit, then sell it to fund this project. XJ6 is pretty cool too, has a manual swap and triple SUs, cali car, show it in the end of the last video.

Cheers dudes, thanks for all the help so far! Oh, and if anyone sees a front windshield and weatherstripping for sale, PM me!
I watched your video the other day
And i am looking forward to see more progress on the build
Regards

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Yesterday:
UIeRJIf.jpg

RNo8Km3.jpg

Jumped on this, was local, indy bmw mechanic had it, story was he purchased a 140k mile 1991 535i with a blown headgasket, yanked/decked the head, lapped valves, put car back together, sold car, which was promptly totalled a few months later. Customer brought back car, decided to part it out, tech kept the engine in his garage vertically for the past 3 years.

I pulled the plugs, they looked even, oil had no specs, and tried scoping the cylinder walls but my scope was acting all dumb. I got it to work in one cylinder and it looked good but then it quit working so I basically just rolled the dice on it. Need to get it up on the engine stand and pressure wash this thing, it's gross but should clean up okay. In terms of damage, the waterpump was pushed into the block, and one stud snapped, but other than that no visible damage.

I'm not sure what my plans are yet, but I definitely appreciate @Mike Goble showing me the cam adaptor to be able to run a distributor and my 72 intake/carbs and ditch all the motronic stuff. Still undecided but it's nice to know you can go either way with it. Stay tuned & thanks for the help so far!

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's a heavy lump to have hanging off the back but the bad astro seems to take it in stride.
Congrats on the find. I can't remember exactly what year my B35 is ('92?) but I needed adaptor plates on both engine mounts.

ADDvanced

Reaction score
So full disclosure, I am stuper stoked about building this car but I need to finish my 73 Jag XJ6 project to fund the bavaria project, & the XJ6 is a lot closer to being road worthy given that it has functional brakes, an engine that runs on starting fluid, etc. However, I want to chip away at the Bavaria in terms of knowledge and stuff so it can happen quickly, hopefully this spring.

Today, I degreased the M30B35, and pressure washed it in cold ass 31 deg weather. It was terrible, but the engine cleaned up decently.
315523573_693631106616_7120800661383451906_n.jpg

Threw some fogging oil in the cylinders and shoved it into the garage to hibernate over winter while I ask lots of question and begin hoarding parts
315555874_693631111606_3731127847410621734_n.jpg

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
So many before you have been bogged down, trying to "finish" a Jag XJ6. But somehow I have faith that you are one who may actually pull this off. I think a statement you made above is a clue that you are hopelessly addicted to the BMW E3/E9 as are the rest of us here : "While I ask lots of questions and begin hoarding parts" ! As a bonus, not many of us can share such a resource that was revealed in your video above, when your charming partner says something to the effect of " I have some welding to do"! Are you kidding me? Great partnership.
Keep the video updates coming. ;)

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Small update! Acquired a windshield and some other parts, but I am looking for a windshield seal. If anybody knows of one, please let me know.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that has become a tough find. might check this post (search is your friend)

going to look at an e3 parts stash (hopefully later this week) and i understand that there are some rubber parts (possibly new) in this ... will create a post when we have ascertained what is available / of potential interest

chope97

Reaction score
The Swedish BMW part business has them I purchased two from them this year