CA Fires

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All the places I love and wanted to live in CA are on fire. Many friends are in harms way & I hope they are are able to get to safety.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
All the places I love and wanted to live in CA are on fire. Many friends are in harms way & I hope they are are able to get to safety.
I have been following this closely too. East of Carmel Valley Village is burning. Such a beautiful area. About 40 homes lost so far out there.

My sister, who lives in Portola Valley near Skyline Blvd is evacuating to Reno to a relative's home.

It looks like this am they are reporting some rain in Napa county and up by Clearlake. I think this is the vicinity of the Lake Berryessa fire. I hope this time the rain is making it down to the ground, and not evaporating before it reaches the earth. And that there is no lightning. Lightning is super rare in most parts of the Bay Area.

The good news is that the redwoods will survive for the most part.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i keep seeing the news everyday and think of all of our friends, families and their coupes .. hoping all stay safe

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The smoke is very bad. A few days ago we could only see about a quarter mile. Cal Fire's fleet of fire suppression aircraft fly over my shop all day coming and going from the local base and you can't see them.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Before moving to Bellingham 15 years ago, we lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains above Scotts Valley south of Los Gatos. Pretty idyllic to be in the middle of a mature redwood forest with a 10 mile view and not another residence in sight...but with Silicon Valley and 7,000,000 people just over the hill. They have evacuated the area around and including our old home. It makes me physically sick to think of that forest being consumed by fire. It will be hundreds of years before the area looks the same again. :(

posix

Reaction score
my wife and i use to hike in big basin pretty often, same for henry cowell state park. very sad this is happening. have a few coworkers in the area that were evacuated. a decent amount of these fires started from the random thunderstorm that happened 2 weekends ago. i would assume it's been hard to allocate resources when there are all of these fires that all started around the same time a lot of them pretty close to mid-high population areas.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We are safe now, although still under an evacuation warning at the edge of the foothills in Fremont CA. Last week we had fire about three miles away over the ridge to the east. Yesterday, we put our to go bags together along with important papers, computers photos etc.. The two daily drivers got moved to safety with our X3 and CS staying with the plan being to drive those out along with our small travel trailer if the call comes. The forecast for dry lighting and high winds last night did not happen here, so we are probably in the clear for this week even though the red flag warnings go to 5 PM.
We have watched the local news each night in sorry showing the destruction of our beautiful forests and hundreds of homes in little towns like Bonny Doon above Santa Cruz. Hopefully the worst is now over, but the total area burned in CA this week is 1,700 square miles! A staggering affect of global warming and 100 years of fire prevention leading to forests far denser than natural. In my lifetime I have never experienced the intense dry lighting storm like we did last weekend. Thousands of dry strikes over CA started thousands of small fires that converged into the large fire complexes that we now have.