Can I put an e34 engine and gearbox in...

readie

Reaction score
Can I have a steer in this, how easy is it to transplant an E34 535 manual, 1989, M30b35, engone and gearbox into an e9 ??

Thanks

Bejoe16

Reaction score
From what I understand and more informed people can chime in. But you will need mounts and the transmission won't have a speedo drive for your speedometer. Not even mentioning the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
The motor is you mention the M30B35 is the one to go for in terms of fuel injection and I am following this route but ended up getting an E32 735i manual. You will however need a Getrag 265 with the manual speedo drive but then have to grab the bell housing to accept the Motronic and I expect that the bell housing off a 1985 E24 should do the trick. I will have this confirmed soon.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC the B35 uses later Motronic and is triggered by a cogged wheel on the harmonic balance so any M30 bellhousing should work However, as Wise 9 said you still need the gear box with a mechanical speedo drive.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, to drive the mechanical speedometer you'll need a transmission with the speedometer drive. Later Getrag 265 units without the drive can have it added, though they are quite scarce now.

However, there are alternatives. There's a product called Cable X that will drive your speedo via cable after it gets your speed signal from either a later BMW rear end with the speed sensor output, or from a Hall Effect sensor and some magnets you put on your drive shaft. You can also upgrade your speedo to make it electronic, or switch to a newer speedo that already is. These solutions aren't for the purist, but then you're adding a much newer drivetrain to your car.
Stepping away from the need for a mechanical speedo drive from the transmission would let you choose a more modern gearbox, if you can make it fit.

http://www.atrol.com/cablex.htm

No affiliation.

Bejoe16

Reaction score
I have a getrag 265 with speedo drive for sale if need it.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC the B35 uses later Motronic and is triggered by a cogged wheel on the harmonic balance so any M30 bellhousing should work However, as Wise 9 said you still need the gear box with a mechanical speedo drive.

Thanks for that tip about the bell housing. I will check my E32 because I thought I saw something on the bell housing but if I don't need to swap it then that is fine too :)

Bejoe16

Reaction score
Thanks bejoe16, I am in the uk, where are you located?

I am in the Georgia USA. I just got a quote to ship it out there. I think about 700$ but I didn't realize you were overseas.

Rek

Reaction score
Are you sure that the engine is the b5 rather than the b4? I transplanted an E34 Alpina B10 engine which is to all intents and purposes a modified 535i. So long as you have the complete engine harness, relays and CPU for the 535i your existing gearbox can work with it.

You need to replace the E34 oil pick-up and sump with the one on your current engine. Apart from some shenanigans with the wiring - its relatively simple.