car radios

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just saw a Becker Europa 2 radio on eBay for US$1299. yes it is NOS, but yikes, that is a lot of $$$ for a car radio. I have a nice a/c radio faceplate and am looking for a suitable 2-shaft car radio to fit. What have you done for tunes and that OEM look? Specifically looking for an alternative to Becker, hopefully with a simple aux-in plug, but am open to yet another upgrade/project ;). Mike

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I installed a Blaupunkt radio for the original look. The radio works and powers the speaker behind the wood grill. I then found an amp that I could plug in to my iphone or iPad so I could play pandora or iTunes music. (I sound like an apple ad). The amp is hidden under the rear seat and powers 4 speakers that have been installed descretly in the hat shelf and kick panels. Good sound quality and not so in your face as a big stereo.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have my original Europa Stereo and 4 speakers from dealer (rear parcel shelf and front footwells). I replaced the speakers with modern ones but fitted them into the existing housings/grilles. Bluetooth adapter from Becker Autosound which plugs into the DIN plug on back of radio. Power amp under the rear seat. Looks 100% stock, sounds better, and I can listen to radio or stream Spotify.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep looking. That is stupid money for a radio that only owners of early 70's German cars want. Way more radios than cars probably exist. I think I paid about $100 for my Europa 2. My car came with a Blaupunkt Berlin. I hope to sell it for the money you mentioned to a Porsche owner.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paid $100 for my Blaupunkt Frankfurt, faceplate and bracket. Bought from a forum member in the UK. Stream music via iLive bluetooth receiver in the glove box.

Athena Radio.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt. There are multiple serials and years to geek out on, with supporting decoders online. Think about if you want US frequencies or euro.

I would use @enoz05 as a high water mark for fairly priced vintage radios. Shoot him a PM with what you are looking for.

You can find untested radios for $100 - $200. I think like all parts and vehicle prices it is important to know *when that vintage radio was purchased. Mine was free but it doesn’t mean that you won’t pay $350 - $500 for your radio of choice.

30857332872_fa0dcf9c11_b.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have a frankfurt stereo radio also. i have always like the look of the becker europa ... they just have that look of coolness about them. having them modified to include bluetooth would be a major plus.

does anybody know if you can upgrade the frankfurt? or anybody that does it?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can buy a DIN plug for both mono and stereo Frankfurts on eBay for input, then run speaker outputs into an amp.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt. There are multiple serials and years to geek out on, with supporting decoders online. Think about if you want US frequencies or euro.

I would use @enoz05 as a high water mark for fairly priced vintage radios. Shoot him a PM with what you are looking for.

You can find untested radios for $100 - $200. I think like all parts and vehicle prices it is important to know *when that vintage radio was purchased. Mine was free but it doesn’t mean that you won’t pay $350 - $500 for your radio of choice.

30857332872_fa0dcf9c11_b.jpg
Hi,
Is that an E3 or E9 face plate?
Thanks
Koopman.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just saw a Becker Europa 2 radio on eBay for US$1299. yes it is NOS, but yikes, that is a lot of $$$ for a car radio. I have a nice a/c radio faceplate and am looking for a suitable 2-shaft car radio to fit. What have you done for tunes and that OEM look? Specifically looking for an alternative to Becker, hopefully with a simple aux-in plug, but am open to yet another upgrade/project ;). Mike
Hi Guys,
I have two period correct radios that I would like to sell. I also have three A/C face plates for sale. Please PM me if interested.
I am looking to sell all my parts because of health issues. I have some parts for 2500s,2002s,635csi, and many Din and Chrome Vanadium tools including green handle screwdrivers.
Thanks
Koopman

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
that looks like an e9 plate ... and it looks like it is probably one of his 3d printed plates (shameless plug from a friend)
Hi,
I thought the E9 had six air openings and the E3 had seven. The photo that Markos sent has seven vent slots. Now 'm confused because have a few with seven slots was told by a Forum member that they were E3 Bavaria face plates
Thanks