Car Rolls on Slight Hill when in Gear?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have had this issue for some time. When I park on a slight hill, nothing crazy, and put it in gear, the car slowly moves down the hill. If feels like it is slipping, lurching, very slowly. I then use the emergency brake, but my EB is VERY hard to fully engage. I have to pull with 2 hands literally, very hard.

I always thought that when you put a car in gear, it simply shouldn't move at all.

Wondering if there is something wrong with my gearbox.

I believe I have tried to get this fixed at good shops, e.g. Bill Arnold in SF, previously, esp the EB.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Scott

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
How Streep a hill are you talking about? And at what altitude? Steeper and higher altitude both make it harder for engine compression to prevent the engine from turning over.

Which gear are you using? If 1st or reverse it could be an indication your motor is a bit low in compression.

EB: have Benny check that it’s setup and adjusted properly (incl some grease in the cable sleeves). Check for heat glazed EB, which won’t grip as well.

Mine holds on most hills with a single handed but firm application. If SF, I’d be putting it in 1st gear and turning the tires to contact the curb.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you pulled up the EB boot and looked at the two cables each with an M6 stud and M10 size head? Loosen each and then tighten and then cinch the second nut. If they are already all of the way out the EB shoes must be very thin.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
How Streep a hill are you talking about? And at what altitude? Steeper and higher altitude both make it harder for engine compression to prevent the engine from turning over.

Which gear are you using? If 1st or reverse it could be an indication your motor is a bit low in compression.

EB: have Benny check that it’s setup and adjusted properly (incl some grease in the cable sleeves). Check for heat glazed EB, which won’t grip as well.

Mine holds on most hills with a single handed but firm application. If SF, I’d be putting it in 1st gear and turning the tires to contact the curb.
I am at very high altitude. I did not realize that could impact things but I guess it makes sense. Approximately 6000 feet at a ski resort where I live. I will have Benny check the compression and take a look at the brakes pads as well. Very slight Hills is all that’s needed to get it to move. I am talking about a 5 to 7° incline or so. I really appreciate everyone else’s comments and will look at this carefully. I have tried in both first gear and reverse although I have it recalled a difference

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you pulled up the EB boot and looked at the two cables each with an M6 stud and M10 size head? Loosen each and then tighten and then cinch the second nut. If they are already all of the way out the EB shoes must be very thin.
Well look at this carefully when it is at the shop next. Thanks for the advice

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lurching means the engine is turning over, not the clutch slipping , IMHO

Reverse is better than first:
45F24EB3-BF1F-4584-8878-A07864AD52F3.jpeg