carbs and a couple of ?s

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Just a few pics of the redecorating going on in the engine bay of my coupe. Picked up the carbs a few weeks ago and figured i'd give it a go and see if i could handle it alone. So far so good. Also sprayed the valve cover while i was at it. I'm thinking about machining the raised lettering stripes and emblem... anyone have any experience with this?

question for those with triples... is it recommended to keep the vac adv. & retard? My manifold had a tap that i was using for the brake vac line so i rigged up a tee with an additional barb for the distributor advance but am not sure if its ok to pull them from the same tap or not (thinking not...). If it is, and i wanted to keep the vac. adv and retard, could i add the retard line to the same tap or would it have to be separated? I know thats probably a stupid question, but i'm new to the carb life so please forgive...

Also... anyone have a source for the foam/rubber firewall padding? mine is exceptionally cruddy...

Before...
918ced397ba923a930a08962854dd049.jpg

60258a5728d7ad5a968039a784bb7485.jpg

After...
1026624eb0dd043b48353d6eac5bf5e3.jpg

877a45d1f807441fbd9881fc8650e3d0.jpg

df32bddce401df0cd052b6d652a27b09.jpg

d95229abd22680b4d38ae24676054997.jpg

28ef10d71f0f5495877a26fea9d10621.jpg

de coupe

Reaction score
nice job on plumbing

Nice job on the plumbing, Water inlet outlet welded up nice. What are you using as far as a fuel delivery. Just took the Webbers I did have off "on sale now" Think of going with the EFI unit that they have, but $4000 later I wll be explaning to the wife. Dont realy want to cross that bridge May be I can say one coil per cyclinder is for her benifit .....

gazzol

Reaction score
Well done looks sweet, neat install :D . When I painted my valve cover I rubbed the raised sections down with wet n dry, the contrast of the flat black and the silver looks goo but having said that I like the understated look of yours too so I guess it's down to your own preference.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
thanks for the compliments. Waiting for a brake booster to come available so that i can finish the install. As far as fuel goes... thinking of going with a Carter 4070 / sans regulator. From what i've heard, its the pump to use with teh triples. Anyone else have experience with another brand / type?

Did you guys keep your vac advance or did you just cap it? I've read that porting the carb vor vacuum advance yields mixed results with the 40's and that running the vac line to the manifold gets poor performance. So, i guess doing away with it all together is the best option.?.?.?

Ignition wise, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

gazzol

Reaction score
The vacuum advance is a economy device it gives the timing a few more degrees of advance under cruising conditions this is advance that the engine couldn't handle under full load. Unless you get your webbers jetted for economy (not much point in having them if you do except for the bling factor) then I would say that your gonna need the vac advance for the extra gas mileage you'll get and belive me you'll want it cos it will use more gas from my experience. Every car I've ever had experience of with DCOEs on have used more gas even when cruising :?: :?: :?:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I have a 008 distributor ('euro' 3.0CS I think) and run no vacuum advance.

I have a little Facet solid state fuel pump and a regulator, set to 4psi I think. Plenty of fuel, but noisy, even on rubber isolators. Some day it'll be replaced with something quieter.

This engine was built by Ray Korman in 1980 or so. I bought it used in the late 80s. It came with 3 sets of main jets and I have long used the leanest. With those, 5 speed overdrive and 3.64 diff, I get around 20mpg on the highway.

I've been doing body and paint work and look forward to getting it back on the road this spring.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
A few more images... Brake booster is in after a little improvization. Because the stem on the tii booster is shorter and ends in a forked connection (3.0 booster stem inds in a threaded rod) i had to fab a junction to match the 3.0 stem to the tii. Because i dont have access to welding equipment and didnt want to wait 2 weeks to get the rod cut a spliced, I had to get a little creative. I ended up using an aluminum turnbuckle that i picked up from home depot. The turnbuckle was threaded for 3/8" so it spun right on to the end of the 3.0 stem. I then cut the turnbuckle in half to create a fork and drilled 3/8" holes through both fork arms. This allowed me to mate it up to the forked end of the tii booster and pin the 2 together with a 2" x 3/8" threaded bolt and lock nut. Came out pretty well (i'll post a pic of it a little later). Only gripe is the rod ended up getting longer buy about 1/2" which raised the pedal height in the cabin correspondingly. Not great, but i can live with it.

f166467f1e3689d48cee91ad643b6fdf.jpg

5d344299d3ae8af44b814c6e25de12fd.jpg

108293a8e24f8c298434d1d457915928.jpg

562de66ef3c9cb114c50ab3690c28270.jpg

ec21d185a0350f8b12743be4e5a77579.jpg

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Disconnect the vac advance line from the distributor and leave it open at the distributor.
The vacuum advance is almost impossible to get to work with the tripple webers.
Depending on what else your dooing with the engine (cam, compression), you might hav to give the ignition more static advance and then limit the amount of centrifugal advance as to prevent pinking at higher revs. There are complete books on just what to do with the ignition and advance curves on upgraded engines. Short story: more advance at idle, but mkae sure the maximum advance does not overshoot (which it would if you only give it more static advance). I´m running 18deg static, 20deg at idle (1000rpm) and 38 deg as max (reached at about 4000rpm) with mit tripple 40DCOE on my 3.0 with 9:0 compression and stock cam.

very nice and shiny weber setup you have there. Very neat work on the linkage as well. All alligned nicely (grommets on the runners). Nice handywork. If you´re bored, my setup could do with an overhaul ;)

What jetting and chokes are you running?

chicane

Reaction score
The carbs and plumbing look absolutely beautiful. Great job.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Thanks again for the compliments and advice.

Carb specs are as follows:

Serial numbers:
6E

Jetting:
Choke 34,
Main Jet 120,
Air Correction 180,
Emulsion Tube F11,
Pump Jet 40,
Idle Jet 55F8,
Aux Venturi 4.5,
Float Level 8mm.

Manifold:
Korman

It would be great to get input from those running the triple 40s as to what combination seems to work best. I know the setup varies some with respect to altitude and desired performance. Looking for a reasonable balance between fuel efficiency and performance.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
I´m running 3 x 40DCOE151 on my 3.0.

But I still haven´t found a satisfatory jetting
34 chokes and 180 air correctors work well on my car, but in conjuntion with a 130 main jet.
The troubles I´m having are on the idle and pump jets. Below 3000 rpms the car drives poorly, you have to feather the acelerator and gently get beyond at least 2500 rpm befor you get some torque.
I´m currently running 50F8 idle jets and 40 pump jets.
I will try your 55F9 idle jet next.
Unless I finally get some time on the rolling road for some serious tweaking. Unfortunately the only people around here who have the knowledge and the shop to tweak such a setup are in such demand, it´s near impossible to get an appointment. I practically had to beg for them to sell me a new set of Webers....
I will post my jetting when I finally find one I´m happy with.

chicane

Reaction score
That engine looks so clean you could eat off of it!! Do you have DIY pics of the actual detailing?