Carpet Followup

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Copy of an email I sent to Cabrio. Will keep forum advised of response. If positive perhaps there may be enough critical mass to make a purchase happen. I am looking at match for Navy interior.

John

Greetings

There has been a lot of interest in your carpet kits on the E9coupe.com forum in the U.S. Your carpet pile and colors are very close the original but not an exact match.

Is it possible to provide you a sample and get a special run of carpet that is closer to an exact match. If possible how may carpet sets would you need to sell to make the special run. And at what cost per set.

Thanks in advance.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i got this reply today on my request for samples from KHM. my response was ... ok with me, don't have an original car. the materials that i am most interested in are the 2 tone velours (either a charcoal or tan version of the 672 that deQ is looking at).

thank you for your mail.
We will send samples by letter. Please note that knit velour (e. g. 501 etc...) is a Porsche material. Standard is a loop material that is not available at the moment.
We look forward to your message and remain with
best regards
Helen Joepen
K. H. Mayer KFZ-Technik GmbH

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Currently have single tone velour in great shape. Just really like the original closed loop piece in the trunk. Guess l'll have to be patient.

i got this reply today on my request for samples from KHM. my response was ... ok with me, don't have an original car. the materials that i am most interested in are the 2 tone velours (either a charcoal or tan version of the 672 that deQ is looking at).

thank you for your mail.
We will send samples by letter. Please note that knit velour (e. g. 501 etc...) is a Porsche material. Standard is a loop material that is not available at the moment.
We look forward to your message and remain with
best regards
Helen Joepen
K. H. Mayer KFZ-Technik GmbH

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am hoping to be impressed with their samples. i was completely underwhelmed by world upholstery's samples. a little happier with GAHH's samples ... i preferred their velours, but i don't think a single color velour would look right in our coupes - too flat of a color, whereas the 2 tone have depth. i think the german loop carpets are tighter weaves than the domestic ones.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree. The solid color is good, but lacks depth. Not super high on my priority list, but if there was a way to get something really close to original I'd shift it up the list.

i am hoping to be impressed with their samples. i was completely underwhelmed by world upholstery's samples. a little happier with GAHH's samples ... i preferred their velours, but i don't think a single color velour would look right in our coupes - too flat of a color, whereas the 2 tone have depth. i think the german loop carpets are tighter weaves than the domestic ones.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree. The solid color is good, but lacks depth. Not super high on my priority list, but if there was a way to get something really close to original I'd shift it up the list.

no way to a customised run, i spoke to helen on the phone, minimum is 10.000metres, and i guess that 3 meters are enough for one car

you should find your matching material from their actual stock...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

the loop is fabulous, absolute match in shape to the original, the colour unfortunately not

i agree that a single colour velour is too flat, i have tried a two tone velour sample and i feel that it is still too flat

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Reply below. 1 down 29 to go!

thank you for your mail.

We know about the colour differences between the original BMW and the Mercedes colours we use for the E3 and E9.

We already checked production possibilities and need to make around 500 square meters per colour. From this we need one "partner" who will take 50% of the material or ready produced 30 carpet sets. We already discussed this with BMW Classic for which we supply several other products and with the German E9 Clubs, but both could not afford these quantities.

If you have any idea on this, please let us know, we also would be interested to do a step forward in this matter.

Best regards
K. H. Mayer

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone have a contact at BMW CLassic? Maybe between them and us we contract for 30.

Reply below. 1 down 29 to go!

thank you for your mail.

We know about the colour differences between the original BMW and the Mercedes colours we use for the E3 and E9.

We already checked production possibilities and need to make around 500 square meters per colour. From this we need one "partner" who will take 50% of the material or ready produced 30 carpet sets. We already discussed this with BMW Classic for which we supply several other products and with the German E9 Clubs, but both could not afford these quantities.

If you have any idea on this, please let us know, we also would be interested to do a step forward in this matter.

Best regards
K. H. Mayer

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it really shouldn't be that hard to come up with 30 people who need blue carpet for a coupe. i wonder what kind of pricing they would offer for a group buy of 30 sets.

i don't need blue carpet in a black coupe with a tan interior ... just thinking out loud.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK...maybe 30 sets is possible. Worth a try at least.

Reply email attached.

Dear H Mayer

30 sets is a lot but maybe not impossible. If you could send the contact information of the parties you spoke to earlier perhaps this can happen. The specific color will be to match a Navy blue interior.

Could you also quote what each set would cost. And, I assume as you have the patterns left or right hand drive will not be an issue.

Best.

John

peytonplace

Reaction score
Copy of an email I sent to Cabrio. Will keep forum advised of response. If positive perhaps there may be enough critical mass to make a purchase happen. I am looking at match for Navy interior.

John

Greetings

There has been a lot of interest in your carpet kits on the E9coupe.com forum in the U.S. Your carpet pile and colors are very close the original but not an exact match.

Is it possible to provide you a sample and get a special run of carpet that is closer to an exact match. If possible how may carpet sets would you need to sell to make the special run. And at what cost per set.

Thanks in advance.

I'd be in for a group purchase like that. Looking to replace the carpet in my fjord coupe that has a dark blue velour interior.

John

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
John (Lotuss7)

I may be interested in a set depending on pricing.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK.

Here is the latest email I sent. If we can get a committment time to reach out to any and all...

Dear K H Mayer

Thank you for your response. I will try and put together enough buyers to make this happen. All who have shown interest want to know the pricing. Can you please provide a cost in US$ and expected shipping costs to the states. I would hope that the group buy would allow for economy in the purchase price over an individual buy.

As a method of assembling buyers I would propose you establish an account where all interested contact you directly. Perhaps you can establish a initial deposit system ($100?) where if enough buyers commit, the deposit goes against the purchase price. If the group buy does not go through you would then return the deposit. And perhaps there is a time frame established..say three months? to allow this particular group of buyers to commit.

I am not sure if you have done this sort purchase method before. I would be interested to understand how you structured it.

Best Regards

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would be interested in carpet for my blue interior.

I have contacts at BMW Classic.

Not sure who you are contacting? Cabrio?

I have not done any research on this so I am new to this subject.
As someone else said not at the top of the priority list. But could be.

So with the correct info and contact person I would be glad to contact BMW Classic if you think that will help.
BTW they will be at Amelia Island in March an event many of us are attending.
Gary

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Correspondence is with Cabrio. All related to the Wally and deQuincey posts.
Their stock carpet sets are close, but not close enough for me to make the jump as my carpets are in great condition, however not original.

If it is possible to match the original carpet for the Navy interior I am very interested. Idea is to set up a pool of individuals to make it worth Cabrio's while. If they agree and at the right price point it is time to reach out to any and all.

Ultimately it will be important that they get the carpet right. A conversation to be had after they agree to the set up.

If you want to contact them directly to push the conversation, please feel free.

John

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
welldone, you have talked to the boss, helen hoepen was not so positive on my request

as to the price, actually the price for a two tone loop, like 426, is 374 eur + 75 eur shipping to spain + 19% tax

the carpet set on 374 eur included all floor and rear shelf, but not trunk carpet, that it is priced at around 150 eur more, i am not interested in a trunk carpet anyway so i may not have the right price

i assume that they should offer a better price on a group buy

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be interested in carpet for my blue interior.

I have contacts at BMW Classic.

Not sure who you are contacting? Cabrio?

I have not done any research on this so I am new to this subject.
As someone else said not at the top of the priority list. But could be.

So with the correct info and contact person I would be glad to contact BMW Classic if you think that will help.
BTW they will be at Amelia Island in March an event many of us are attending.
Gary

very interesting gary,