cars worth

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
woukl anyone know what my car is worth

Are you talking about when you are done, or in its current form? Also, do you have paperwork on the "race engine"? The S38 is very expensive to rebuild and I think that it is important for buyers to know that it was worked on by a reputable shop, or that it has a guarantee.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is fun!

DD3581BA-E861-43CA-9D21-9B51E5CBFD0D.jpeg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow, a lot of info to go on.
Alan, I don't personally know anything about your car. Not sure if it is outlined in detail elsewhere on the site. But it is hard to even make a guestimate without any pictures, data, or details. Maybe this question was intended for a few folks that know your car well?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alan, I don't personally know anything about your car. Not sure if it is outlined in detail elsewhere on the site. But it is hard to even make a guestimate without any pictures, data, or details. Maybe this question was intended for a few folks that know your car well?

I'm not sure if the inquiry is related to insuring or selling. Alan mentioned selling in passing, so I'll take a stab from a selling point of view:

I'll state what I know off the top of my head, mainly based off the build thread. I'm sure I'm missing a lot. Alan's has owned his car for 20 or 30 years AFAIK, but it has been a project for years up until recently. The car is a 1974 3.0 CS with a new Porsche factory blue color that looks like Fjord. It has an S38 "race motor" with a basket of snakes header, and an aftermarket EMS. It has a custom exhaust with traditional compression (non-mandrel) bends. It has an two sideways AGM batteries in the trunk and a disc changer. The car has refinished 14x7" Alpina wheels, but Alan stated they are 14x7.5. It has ground control coilovers up front and adjustable GC spring pads in the rear, painted black to blend in better. It has a new glass windscreen because I have his old one. The bumpers and bright work were professionally polished but not coated. The seats are original navy leather and in good condition. The dashboard was professionally recovered by just dashes. Alan did the wood once, then redid it again - I believe he said "for fun" - but this was presumably to repair defects. It looks good IMO. Alan states that the car was 100% rust free, although there is evidence of riveted sheetmetal repair to the non-structural metal where the firewall extends over the shock towers on the passenger side. The car has a CSL duckbill spoiler on the rear, and motorsport roundels all around. Overall the car looks very nice. There are some reversible modifications that some buyers may/will not desire, but nothing significant other than the custom paint job, the motor selection, the speaker boxes that were cut into the floor panels, the firewall modification (dent) to clear the s38, and the hole in the firewall for the EMS.

The most pertinent question is how well the car runs. Alan sent his car to a well known BMW mechanic in the bay area (Bill) to cleanup the wiring and tune the EMS.

Alan - let me know if I missed anything big.

f.jpg
e.jpg

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brilliant description, Mark. This is fun!
Do we know if the car is running yet? Sounds like it will be a beast of a power plant... Has the final drive had anything done in coordination with the "race engine"? Separate but related question, is it an LSD?

This will be one difficult car to sell.
Agree.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Brilliant description, Mark. This is fun!
Do we know if the car is running yet? Sounds like it will be a beast of a power plant... Has the final drive had anything done in coordination with the "race engine"? Separate but related question, is it an LSD?

Agree.

I’m pretty sure he put an LSD in it. Alan?

tmason

Reaction score
Awesome job Mark. It woukl be nice to have a little more info on what you are looking for here?
Did it ever get running?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the price may be wholly dependent on the location and type of battery. Are there pics?

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thank you all
very nice
batterys in trunk two-yellow sealed type
the ggod ones i furgot.
will be dynowed but not hard data on the engine build except for bills (the tuner)
expertise and inspection
the ol guy passed away a month after i got it although thewre is a comment in my post on someone that knew the builder.
and watched him put together the engines.
thank you very much markos for youe help
there is a 3:64 lsd
inside and the fenders were reset hench the welding
the wheels are stock csl wheels wider lip
of course when it done and proven and has zero squeeks and rattles.
still dont see numbers ?
just comment --but now with markos woderful help i suppose a resonable number could
be made.
what 30k - 50k