Center Tie Rod Loose

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
I noticed my steering was sloppy.
Upon Investigation found that the center tie rod had play at both ends where they go up into the steering arms.
Looks like the previous owner replaced a lot of the bushings but may have not been able to tie rod up into the arm far enough.
Does not look to have any missing parts per RealOEM. Also, the area where there is slop is in the tie rod itself. I was unsure even if there was a way to press them further in it would be better. As you can see here I removed the crown nut. The cotter pin was in place.
I tried to tighten the nut further in hopes to get it on further. Is there a tool for this that will allow me to ensure the tie rod is pressed in all the way. Looked for a video on via the all knowing you tube. Did not see one showing a tool for this. Just removal tool and then using the nut to press it back on.
Attempting to make sure I am heading in the correct direction. Or should the center tie rod be replaced?
This is likely not an easy part to get.
Capture.JPG

Does it look like it is not pressed all the way on?
tierod picture.JPG

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Even if I decide the correct path is to replace the center tie rod there is no availability. Per RealOEM and ECS. Any ideas?
upload_2018-10-15_19-32-35.png

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I purchased one last month from RM, they are out now. Had been none, then seemed like many, now they appear to be disappearing again. There are also some on ebay. I don't know if the e12/early e24 fit our cars, but there are more of those & they're cheaper. Confirm fit as I'm seeing double after what seems like days behind the screen

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/32211104018

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/32211104082.htm?pn=32-21-1-104-082-M240&SVSVSI=BE03

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/e3e9trcdl.html

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Was Carl selling the BMW OE? If so, that's actually a good deal. I've seen them at $250. Pretty sure IE has the OCAP. AutoausAZ is around $65 and Pelican $70 for the same part.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i bought one recently from W+N. its 117 euro, and right now W+N has a 30 euro discount if you buy enough right now. i have looked at the current piece from W+N and there is no BMW part number or indication of where the part is manufactured.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm...Already placed order with IE. Can cancel. I will look at the W+N more closely. That may be the way to go.
Amazing what can be found if you just keep looking!
Picture of this part from W+N. Looking like I am missing a protective washer. That is why I thought it was somehow loose. Regardless it is worn out and needs replacement.
I just am not looking forward to the installation. I can use a tool to pot them out.
When installing the new one I just hope it goes in smoothly using the crown nut to get them back in place. Will put some anti seize on them before inst
IMG_6661_zpsk04fwvqt.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anti-seize on a crown nut?
Never ever use that on your Center link.
Do not apply anti-seize compound to steering hardware or studs. This can result in inaccurate torque readings and/or over torquing of the hardware.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cheap ones are likely chinese, would be good to find german for this critical part.

Excuse the hijack. You're absolutely 100% right, but money's flying around like pollen, and I've got allergies. When I get everything changed out in the suspension, I'm taking it to someone to go over everything. Had disappointing results from W&N with anything rubber lately, so OCAP will have to suffice for now. Why doesn't Lemforder make all this for E9s, like they do for the other models? Having some initial discussion with CA Tuned on coilovers, and will ask him where he gets parts for his E9s and E3.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fwiw, I put Lemforder control arms in my e70 and they aren't nearly as good as the BMW part. They let much more impact harshness through. Sure they were 1/3 the price of the BMW part but they were also lower performance. Maybe not a factor with an old school track rod which doesn't have a rubber/fluid bushing.