Challenging 503 Coupe Project

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
503project.jpg

I love 503’s but this is one daunting project that sold for $98K in February at the Artcurial Retromobile Paris. I hope the new owner(s) plan to restore it, seems to have great provenance and the limited product makes it worth while for the well off collector. Still aluminium body panels need to be fabricated. Off the road since an unfortunate crash in 1976. (Scroll down in the listing for English description) I get that they need to leave dust and grime in place so the car appears “as found”, but the cigar on top of the dash in picture #16 made me laugh.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Picture 19 shows the cause of the crash. Driver confused clutch pedal with brake pedal.

Interesting.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
View attachment 89019

I love 503’s but this is one daunting project that sold for $98K in February at the Artcurial Retromobile Paris. I hope the new owner(s) plan to restore it, seems to have great provenance and the limited product makes it worth while for the well off collector. Still aluminium body panels need to be fabricated. Off the road since an unfortunate crash in 1976. (Scroll down in the listing for English description) I get that they need to leave dust and grime in place so the car appears “as found”, but the cigar on top of the dash in picture #16 made me laugh.

I winced when I saw the "broken nose." It will be fun sourcing the grill. Seems remarkably intact and all there otherwise.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
They are beautiful cars indeed. I spotted this one on the lawn at Pebble Beach four years ago. That's Pete Gleason's batmobile (and himself) in the background.

BMW 503 Pebble Beach.jpg