Classic Car Insurance companies - experience?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm considering changing insurance companies for my e9 and e31, both on a Classic policy. The e31 was struck by a box truck while stationary at a curb in May. Front fender, entire front bumper and many parts behind it needed to be replaced, along with paint for those.

My current insurer promptly accepted my claim and paid ~70% of the insured value for repair cost (would have paid full insured value, but that would have totaled the car and they get car/title). Unfortunately, the adjuster accepted the trucker's statement that our car had hit his truck! No damage to the truck. The picture evidence I forwarded, along with the professional opinion of the high end shop manager where the car was repaired were totally ignored. They claimed it was a 'he said/he said' incident and there was no witness. So, I paid my deductible and significantly more. Not sure I want to be sending my $$ to a company that ignores evidence and professional opinions!

So, I'm investigating other Classic insurers (Hagerty, Heacock, Grundy), and find premiums running from 1X to 2X what I now pay for the two cars. Before deciding, I'd appreciate feedback from any who have insurance with these or other companies. It would also be helpful if you've also had a claim, and to know how it was handled. Thank you for any counsel, greatly appreciated.

Gary--

Per request - American Collectors Insurance

Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
Watching this closely, I'm in a similar position. Considering Hagarty agree value, they paid as promised when a friends two Datsuns were flooded in Harvey

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I am in NJ and use Grundy.

The classic rates are low but they required me to have my daily driver with them, and that’s $2k per year compared to under $1500 with my old carrier that has an awesome reputation. They did not flinch at my values, but I only asked for 25k on the coupe. It’s a bit rough here and there.

It goes through AIG and they are ball busters on payment. Short notice on their bills and 1 day late and you are cancelled.

Buuuut....I use them because the 911 is tracked and occasionally raced. Other carriers I spoke to got sorta shifty when I asked about it, and I don’t need any headaches if something happens *off* track.

Grundy understood the classic and race car part and has a “hot pits” policy. Driving on the street, trailering to an event and in the cold pits-all covered. Once you hit the pit lane to the track, insurance is off, which is fine by me.

Anyway, that’s my Grundy experience.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am in NJ and use Grundy.

The classic rates are low but they required me to have my daily driver with them, and that’s $2k per year compared to under $1500 with my old carrier that has an awesome reputation. They did not flinch at my values, but I only asked for 25k on the coupe. It’s a bit rough here and there.

It goes through AIG and they are ball busters on payment. Short notice on their bills and 1 day late and you are cancelled.

Buuuut....I use them because the 911 is tracked and occasionally raced. Other carriers I spoke to got sorta shifty when I asked about it, and I don’t need any headaches if something happens *off* track.

Grundy understood the classic and race car part and has a “hot pits” policy. Driving on the street, trailering to an event and in the cold pits-all covered. Once you hit the pit lane to the track, insurance is off, which is fine by me.

Anyway, that’s my Grundy experience.
I bundle my CSi with two other daily drivers with State Farm. Recently asked for an increase in the AV from $40k to $55k on a whim. Got the increase immediately, no photos, etc. I used to take my coupe to Driver's Schools. State said as long as it was a "school" it was insured. Never put in a claim. No experience there, but perhaps others here use State Farm and would chime in. Steve

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bundling insurance seems to generate significant savings. I added my three old cars to my Chubb household & daily driver policy and got a substantial discount over separate policies. Also got to select a reasonable AV. Here is Chubb's collector car site: https://collectorcar.chubb.com/us-en/. My agent, Rob Greenberg at Hiram Cohen, is extremely responsive.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hagerty 900.00 Total Premium for my 1967 Mustang (routine 6 cylinder), 1986 635 CSI ( have it at 12K), 1988 M6 (have it at 30k), 1972 Bavaria ( totally resto, have it at 14k).
Only needed to show I had a daily driver other than these and that these are stored indoors. No limits on miles driven for any, 500 deductible. Perhaps they rely on the fact that you can only drive one at a time.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just settled a claim with Hagerty, some title issues but they worked with me and all is well.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am with Hagerty. Like others here, I am relying on favorable stories from others on claims.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a few parts from the 450SL that I lost if someone needs them, new muffler and weather stripping pieces

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shopped around to find “agreed value” only to hear of a maximum on each of my cars. All of above mentioned gave a max of $40K for my Tii and $60K for the CS.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shopped around to find “agreed value” only to hear of a maximum on each of my cars. All of above mentioned gave a max of $40K for my Tii and $60K for the CS.
Whip, take a look at my post above, "oneills." Based on your photos I would go for a higher AV without a max. never heard of that one.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just increased the agreed value for my CS to $100K
Just took a bunch of pictures including; underneath, trunk, engine and the usual body shots
Less than $800 a year

Bwana

Reaction score
I insured mine for I think $45k agreed value but didn't need to send in any pictures or documentation. Should I? Seems like for all they know I could have insured a rusted out old wreck.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
MB parts were for 77 450SL
Have new muffler, some weather stripping, jack, new accelerator petal
Will take reasonable offer as I have no need