Cleaning an E9

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok so this may sound like a stupid question but I’ve read some threads where the general consensus says to keep your car as dry as possible at all times (to prevent rust) and never use a hose.

So how do I go about cleaning my new love and joy (it really needs a clean) without spraying it with a hose and water?

Am I being too paranoid?

Thoughts/advice as always gratefully received.

Thanks, M.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Same. Once it's clean, take it for a drive to dry out any moisture in the fenders and cracks. Blow out the areas around the hood and trunk gaskets. Don't stress about it. Then use a quick detailer to keep it clean the rest of the year.

I use a hose a couple times a year, just dry out the fresh air plenum in front of your windshield.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don’t be too paranoid. I drive mine more than most and live on an island (salt air) so have washed mine for many years every other week. I use the flat wide spray pattern on the nozzle and avoid spraying directly at areas like the window sills, windshield gasket and the hood vents. Dry thoroughly and like Steve I usually take it for a spirited drive afterwards.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all. I’ll clean the car on Wednesday- it’s going to be 30 degrees here in London and will give an extra boost for a thorough drying.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you have an air compressor blow any remaining water off with it. You will be surprised where it hides, under the belt line And under the hood.

I’ve been using my electric hand held leaf blower to dry my car after washing. Doesn’t get the car totally dry but gets it mostly there and cuts down on the effort to hand dry by 90%. Good alternative if you don’t have an air compressor but have a leaf blower hanging around waiting for the Fall.

lloyd

Reaction score
Murray is rolling around...

Xmas in July?

"But it's a dry snow . . . and it doesn't taste too salty."
attachment.fphp

Winter.jpg

bmw-wintertips-og.jpg

dsnow_LI.jpg

Pre-snow?
59895255_2311918842203754_3313003634225626465_n.jpg

Garage Queens?
tumblr_p14l95uVBQ1sswdljo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sometimes it's necessary to use water and a mild car wash soap.
Clean and rinse the car as if it is moving through the air. Wash & rinse front to back.
Work in straight lines, do not make circles. Work from the cleaner areas down to the dirties, rinse often, if what you are washing with is dirty, be sure to rinse thoroughly or get another one. Want to minimize and eliminate any grit that may scratch.
Clean wheels last with a mild wheel cleaner then a soft wheel brush and clean mico-fiber. cloth.
Should take 30-45 minutes to clean. If it is in your budget
I recommend a heated portable car blower, about the size of a small vacuum cleaner. There are hand held models too. (Air-Force Master-Blaster is a popular brand).

After the car is clean and dry, I use Griot's Best of Show Detailing Spray. Then wash the windows.