Cleaning/polishing interior aluminum

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
95935C5F-42EC-4D50-A653-9C2EBE8ECC41.jpeg

Replaceing the shifter boot turned into some refurb work on the shifter console. Constant rabbit hole
What is the best why to get these back to looking good? Looked around for threads as I am sure there are many about this work. No luck.
Can someone send me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
couple ways
hard way and the easy way
i used a very fine and soft wire wheel from ace hardware and mounted in a drill and vice and set a brushy pattern
then sanded by hand with 600 then 1000 it takes a bit of time
yet worked well
you want to of course try the underside first to get the feel and finish you wish
have fun. then polish with mothers
i even took them to the polish shop yet didnt do as well as at home

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
The original finish is an anodized surface. if you follow Alan's preparation up to the point that you get the pattern (very fine lines) that you desire, then bring it to an anodizing shop. That should restore to OEM condition. Member DeQuincey has made a very nice write up on how he did it, setting a new bench mark for e9 restorations along the way. Use the search button for his threads and be amazed with the wealth of info flowing your way.

If you bring it to the anodiser, have a look around your e9 and check what else is made of aluminium/aluminum that you can do in the same pass. Usually these companies have a minimal order price, making it interesting to do a bunch in one go.

Erik.